Pregnancy and Clay Class

As a new teacher in a community education setting I have a question that I have not seen in the  Forum.  One of my students may be pregnant.  I have looked in books on health and safety by Monona Rossol, Michael McCann,  and Angela Babin.  None are specific to clay, pottery and glazing.

Other than the basic precautions all of us should be using (wet mopping, dust mask, frequent breaks for back), are there things/chemicals that we should be concerned about?   I'm mostly thinking glazing, are there chemicals she should avoid, or will using gloves and good housekeeping be enough?

Thanks for your input.

Nancy Johnson

This topic has come up a couple times, link to one of the threads here. I can't recall ever seeing a list of ceramic chemicals that are teratogenic but that would be an area I would check with a medical professional about.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a very pregnant student. It was her last just for her thing to do before the baby. I told her what i knew about the dangers and she elected to not glaze her work til after the baby was born and had stopped nursing just in case.  She was so pregnant that she could not get in the right position to center and that was the semester i got to become an expert in centering  student's clay from the wrong side of the wheel while squatting not sitting. 

10 hours ago, PSC said:

i got to become an expert in centering  student's clay from the wrong side of the wheel while squatting not sitting. 

This is my every day.  It's taking a toll on my back. 

In some circumstances, I'll have the student give up their seat, especially if the fix requires precision.

Archived