Super New and waiting for a kiln

McRocks

Remember, Clay king is a store, not a real source of learning. Find a class, take it, put up with the "older people"  most of us here are those "older people". this is a VERY broad, deep topic and you need some basics to be able to understand the advice folks here will happily give you, but we can't reinvent your wheel.  it's just too much info.

McRocks, I am pretty new to clay- only a few classes behind me, but I want to make sure you realize that there are actually health and safety issues in using clays and glazes as well as in firing and that you can also wreck your kiln shelves and cost yourself a lot of money.

This is another reason to take a class rather than only experimenting.

In the class I took a few months ago, people used broken glass in the phase with glazing. There were people who made beads and mobiles and statuettes, and so forth- not just pots.

Hi Clay Lover and Gabby!

When I decided to get into the clay world NEVER imagined how complex, how much of a delicate balance all really has. I guess as all "outsiders" I underestimated this art thinking it was way easier and by sure I have "new eyes" for the value of a humble ceramic bead, how much work, time, learning that simple small object has, so you can imagine my total amazement when digging into the internet world for answers about clay and ceramics I found things like the Breathtaking art of Turo Kurokawa, Anne Goldman, Allan Wallwork... I had not idea suck BEAUTY existed. I came to the forum with a simple question about a kiln and digging, reading, watching, step by step I'm in Awe, no kidding, about how much is behind a vase for example and specially the How that was created. My idea was as boundary-less as a lot of what I do, thinking in merging, mixing, oblivious of this almost parallel world. Somehow, I'm Discovering the clay and from my kindergarten level of knowledge had same level of fantasy and as I'm slowly walking thru I'm like awakening. I spend Hours browsing images I had never seen before.

I'm starting to understand how much of science is under all of this and how much I need to learn the very very beginning. I need to Learn the clay, textures, how, maybe the mug would not be a bad idea to learn how to respect it as I respect other materials and needed to learn how they are, what they can do. I spent last 4 days Reading,  watching images, passing from a Hum... to a WoW to all the steps of amazement. I'm glad I landed in a place where voices with knowledge and common sense can help me to touch ground a little more and instead of start experimenting the voices tell me to Learn before. And, heck, you all are right... and maybe because of this touching ground a little more I will have to chance to understand the clay and to create beautiful things, that just experimentation would not give me.  

As Tons of people, I had not idea of how REALLY  that a vase one like " happened". We just think that is pretty.  Now, I'm Starting to understand that is a LOT of work and balance and sheshhhhhhhhh, indeed, Too Much Info to get it "fast and now" 

I need to sit and think, review what I would like to do and how and then, i any questions, ask. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Back to college!!! As the more I read -buying every book Mr Zakin published- and videos and everything, I realized it is time to go back to college to really Learn about ceramics. So, summer time will be my college class "ceramics 1" and winter hopefully a semester with "ceramics 2" for starters. I suspect as time passes I will be so hooked into this art that will want to learn more and more!

While? The "repaired kiln" -had a lose wire and will be back to me today- will be used for small trials and fun... 

Thank you guys, really! :)

Hi Yappy!!!

Thanks for the compliments!!!! :) My head is like popcorn on the fire right now with images/fantasies/ideas of all the possibilities this kind of element has and I didn't even tried glazes!!! I saw some Magnificent ones -with recipes and all!!! here in the free books... and I'm super once starts the college class I will be just speechless of how many wonders and mystery this "universe" has. I NEVER expected it, this is so underestimated!!! You have no idea how much my eyes changed since the last couple of weeks every time I see pottery and ceramics, even the most humble piece make me think How much Work and info, knowledge, experimentation is there.

Okie dokie, here they go, my first truly ceramic beads, no glaze, just texture, super rustic -last trends- and It has been SO much funnnnnnnn!!! First time I see  glow Inside beads -ceramics- with my own eyes, the amazingggggg feeling when they were "fired", solid forever, - well, sort of, hehehe.I used a raku clay and a red clay, all fired to cone 02. I made two batches, first the platter ones and after the what now is stranded like a future necklace. I have to think of "weight", I will have to find a lighter weight porcelain/clay.

OMG, This is better than chocolate!!! I'm sooo happyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

20180331_181946.jpg

20180401_185918.jpg

20180401_185822.jpg

After seeing some of your ceramic beads you might consider working with some paper clay.  It is considerably lighter and if you start experimenting in your new kiln you should put a tray made of clay under it to catch any run off from the pieces.   I had a friend in college that accidently  put some low fire work in a Cone 10 firing, they melted all over other students work and ruined several kiln shelves.    When you are going to school volunteer to help load the kilns and fire them.    Denice

Hi Denise!!!

Ohhhhhh, Paper clay? I Guesssss that must be something I read about while researching about kilns, clay, etc...  is that the cellulose sort of fiber that is added to clay? I will totally check that! It seems that could be an answer to the statement style pieces I want to make, like super bold and with an artistic edge, contemporary and or rustic with textures. Is that "strong"? I make some post apocalyptic style and for reenactment, plays etc and I need the things to be strong enough like to be in motion with. I was thinking in making some bones in ceramics for some wild crazy Mad Max style pieces

I got a manual kiln to have the chance to be "there" more than with a digital so I sure hope to not to go to a cone 10. UGH and Yessssssss I'm curious and nosy and if the professor doesn't kick me out for asking too much stuff, I will volunteer for that, for reconstituting clay, everything. I want to gt my hands on all the things they will allow me to. I discovered that just from books and videos is like watching a pizza advertisement on TV, hehehehe, you can suspect how it taste, But hey,  is not like eating it!!!

Thanks for the idea about the paper clay, -running to google and check more about!!!- :) 

Hi Denise!!!

Ohhhhhh, Paper clay? I Guesssss that must be something I read about while researching about kilns, clay, etc...  is that the cellulose sort of fiber that is added to clay? I will totally check that! It seems that could be an answer to the statement style pieces I want to make, like super bold and with an artistic edge, contemporary and or rustic with textures. Is that "strong"? I make some post apocalyptic style and for reenactment, plays etc and I need the things to be strong enough like to be in motion with. I was thinking in making some bones in ceramics for some wild crazy Mad Max style pieces

I got a manual kiln to have the chance to be "there" more than with a digital so I sure hope to not to go to a cone 10. UGH and Yessssssss I'm curious and nosy and if the professor doesn't kick me out for asking too much stuff, I will volunteer for that, for reconstituting clay, everything. I want to gt my hands on all the things they will allow me to. I discovered that just from books and videos is like watching a pizza advertisement on TV, hehehehe, you can suspect how it taste, But hey,  is not like eating it!!!

Thanks for the idea about the paper clay, -running to google and check more about!!!- :) 

PS. Edited minutes after....

OHHHH, I found it!!! https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/ceramic-supplies/pottery-clay/make-paper-clay/

Ohhhhhhh yeah!!! :) 

Thanks againnnnnnnnnnn

Thank You Yappystudent-!!! I'm quite happy with the rustic looks, anyway I see I might need sanding before firing, but I was so anxious to see the whole process that well, they dried and went to the kiln with no second thoughts, hahahaha. I still need to super learn by "working' with the clay and feeling textures, etc. and to buy real tools, I made the beads with some toothpicks, a porcupine quill, a crochet needle and some wooden and copper scrap pieces I found around at the studio. Yeah, I wanted them finished " yesterday". hehehe. :)

Ceramic beads when interesting have a big demand among designers and can be a small extra income for ceramists as "mini works of art" some people really appreciate. I wanted organic looks, I do some in fold forming but wanted beads alike, different, so, decided to make them myself. ;) I don't really want to sell beads but to make my own for what I want to create, anyway I might sell the orphans leftover pieces or the overstock/practice beads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi YappyStudent!!!

And here is what you asked me, how would be used the beads I wanted to make. This are some simple more classic pieces , I guess overtime when more skilled I can make more complex forms, etc. The colored I used dyes instead of glazes, I have in reds, etc. too. :)

I used a raku that fires nicely to an off white in the cone 1 to 2, higher cones make it darker- and porcelain for the one with the big ring pendant. Just received the paper for the paper clay and will be experimenting during the week -If the time and all that helps. Had jury duty and super messed up my agenda-

Have a fantabulous  week!!!

DSC_8724.JPG

DSC_8710.JPG

DSC_8689.JPG

DSC_8304.JPG

DSC_8354.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 6:38 PM, yappystudent said:

Post some pictures when you get your first load back out of your new kiln. Your metalwork jewelry is beautiful and I'm curious how ceramic pieces will incorporate into your designs. 

Hi YappyStudent!!! And here some when had been added pigments -instead of glazed and how they can look in colors, my last necklaces! I'm having soooooo much funnnnnnn!!! OMG this is totally addictive, OldLady was right!!! ;) I can't believeeeeee I'm making my own beads and elements after AGES wasting time surfing and browsing and trying to find the things I was envisioning. 

DSC_9758.JPG

DSC_9776.JPG

DSC_9866.JPG

DSC_9883.JPG

DSC_9901.JPG

Very nice. I like your organic forms that look like driftwood and holey things.

Check out this Etsy shop when you have a chance, she used to do more ceramic work but it's mostly lapidary now. At any rate she's a success story with organic forms and a cut above the norm in her pricing. I find her stuff inspiring, you might as well: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/somethingtodo?ref=ss_profile

Good luck with your stuff:)

11 hours ago, yappystudent said:

Very nice. I like your organic forms that look like driftwood and holey things.

Thankssssssssss, This are my first babies!!! I can't imagine what I can do when I will know more about all this universe.

Thanks also for the link! I will totally check what she does, inspiration is always welcome!!! I wish we would have more ceramic artists creating elements for jewelry... Maybe some day! Or it is considered like "the poor sister" of ceramics arts? -scratching my head- 

Super good vibes to you too!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

mcrocks, there is another area that is underserved and related to jewelry.  the very common  display of jewelry on mannequin-like velvet necks and hands is perhaps appropriate for the very delicate kind of work some people make.  

your work should be featured on something spectacular.   i have seen several in a craft gallery in Shepherdstown, wv.  they were made by one of the gallery owners and i will not photograph them because they are obviously her personal work and it would be unethical for you to produce anything close .  but just the idea might be enough to spark an idea in that very fertile mind of yours.

• 1 month later...

Hi Old Lady!

Sorry answering so late. I had been MIA, -life, etc.-

First: Thank You!!!

Well, one of th biggest challenging things in what I do is to be able to show the work but not being nor too plain nor too "busy" that the work hides, that is haaard!!! I had been making some simple vessels to add as a background for pictures when the pieces are mostly clay made but still I have tons to learn. The more I  think I'm learning, the more I discover how Many Things I still need to learn. Sheshhhhhhhh. 

(I had been also experimenting with additions in the clay bodies... Rice, cat food -hehehe- natural fibers like yucca -I pounded the yucca and scrapped the fibers myself and preserved them with the crystals to dry flowers, pineapple fibers -it is like a silky fiber- and all sort of different organic things that can burn during the firing leaving their mark in the clay. 

Thanks again for thinking in some different and cool way to show my work! :)

-Trying to learn!!!-

DSC_12164.JPG

DSC_12183.JPG

DSC_12216.JPG

DSC_12187.JPG

DSC_12068.JPG

Really glad you followed up McRocks, I love your stuff, it makes me want to write fantasy stories behind the pieces. Did I hear you right that you wanted to make vessels to hang your jewelry pieces on for photographing? I did jewelry for a while but I'll admit I just couldn't stick with it, also my stuff wasn't as good as yours, ha! At the time I was thinking about photographing them in-situ outdoors laying on big rocks and such. In my mind a few of yours would look good against rock, grass, etc. with a desert landscape in the background.  Anyway your stuff is powerful enough that the black backgrounds look fine too. I don't want to herd you down a path, you seem fully capable of coming up with your own great ideas. Also I admire you for being willing to radically experiment, that's important, not everyone is and IMHO that's part of what makes a real artist. Keep up the good work, more power to you!:wub:

Helloooooooo. Yep, I was thinking in a way to show the ceramic beads -necklaces, etc- with vases made with same materials, something like "what it makes a vase, makes also beads..."

I put their pics at my blog testing the waters  and before I could tell folks the "idea" people was asking for reserving them to purchase. -Yayyyyyyyyy, anyway is not 'my thing" with clay but I found it so fascinating that just started shaping different things and playing... most of them sold even before I could use them for pics!, more Yayyyyyyyy-

Jewelry: Hey, If you feel that is not "your thing" you can also make some extra $$$ selling Beads. Weird, unusual, ooak, all that sells well into the beader's and designers world! You can give it a try in places like Etsy or even Amazon handmade... and with that $$$ buy more clay! wink wink.  I sold some beads too, wink wink.

Pics on rocks. That sounds cool!!!! I wish I could... specially a Desert landscape, except if I make a small sand rock garden -that my kittens will probably use a a new modern organic decor LOO "Hey, Look, our human made us a new bathroom! She is cute"- or outside somewhere what it can mean been eaten by mosquitoes as big as hummingbirds, sunburn to lobster red tan,   aaaaaaaaaand as I rescue feral and abandoned cats -I have a bed and breakfast for them in my garage, hehehe- and I'm into one of that programs catch/fix/release, an outdoor desert landscape would be like... Oh, yeah, again... "Hey, Look, our human made us a new bathroom! She is cute", Hehehe

I need also the chance to take close pics for small objects, -macro???- and also the most important factor is Time. I take pics when I can and creating an indoor studio seemed the best way so I have a special room set with sun like lights, etc.  I was thinking in put some organic looking pots, vessels, pods, and th necklaces in a back background... Glad you think they look fine with that color! Hey, you can toss on the table as many ideas as you wish! I'm more than happy to get them and learn things! 

Experimenting, hehehe, Hum... I'm not sure if I'm a real artist, my best guess is that I never grew up, LOL. I already mixed with the clay body: rice, wet rice, cat food, grass, egg shells, yuca fibers cut small, small dots of copper leftovers of when I make perforations to metal, some clay from my yard... hehehe. I'm thinking in covering things -like copper mesh- with clay... and... well, all that, LOL. If you have any info of what can b done and mixed with cay bodies to add texture and weird effects, I'm all eyes!!! :)

Thanks a lot for the good vibes!!! Same to you!!! Let the soul of mother earth guide your hands creating beauty!!! :) 

Archived