Non-fired Finish for Bisque Sculpture

I have a large bisque fired 4 piece sculpture and would appreciate some suggestions for a non-fire finish to put on it.   It is made with a groggy sculptural clay with lots of textures added so the surface is not smooth.   It will be outside in the sun but stored inside during freezing temperatures.  Would like it to be a deep blue colour.    It has a crack inside the head portion and so I do not want to risk firing it again.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!  

Hi Marcia ~ do you mean exterior oil paint?  Have you tried any surface treatments like this on your work?   If so, what products and treatments did you have the most success with?  I live in the Okanagan in BC ~ we get variable temperatures similar to your weather.   Thanks.

On ‎7‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, EarthArt said:

Thought maybe exterior masonary or concrete paint - sealed first?  Spraying is definitely a great idea.

well it will lessen absorption of water, so may lengthen life if exposed to freezing conditions...

Nail polish, enamel paint, acrylics, latex paint, etc.

Artist friend of mine used to paint a lot of his work with "oops paint" from hardware stores and good quality acrylics -- his painted surfaces have held up on some of his outdoor pieces exposed to CA sun and "winters" for the last 10+ years and only in last few years have seemed to fade (the acrylics)

Preeta ~ This is my first large sculpture piece ~ an ogopogo - & it is a new clay to me.  It has been a great learning experience & I would change some of my construction techniques for future projects.  I am concerned some of my joints won't withstand another firing .... have been either raku firing or cone 6 oxidation.  All my tested glazes are in this range at the moment.  The piece with the small crack is the neck & head piece of the sculpture ~ lots of detailed work & I don't know if I want to make another!  Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Perkolator - nice to hear about some weather tested products ~ I am considering the acrylics & plan to get some to test.  Thank you to everyone who contributed ~ some great feedback.  I am away for a few weeks and will start some tests in April.  Will post again to let you know where this journey takes me!  

No prob.  I think the key to his success was to make a base coat of exterior house paint, then he'd use acrylics and whatnot to do his line work.  He only used quality acrylics, like Golden I believe, I doubt the cheaper paints would last as long as these did.  Good luck

I have often had success with epoxy putty for filling/patching cracks. The putty allows you to file/sand/grind it to smooth with the surface, and it will take any of the finishes you are considering. I have repaired many student pieces and touched them up with gloss acrylic matching the glaze surface and color exactly. It is a painful process to match up an existing surface, but you don't have that problem. . . the lacquers should do you well.

best,

Pres

I paint concrete benches with exterior house paint and then after it has cured for thirty days put  several coats of paste wax on it.  They have been expose to all kind of weather for 20 years.   You will still have to bring the pot into the house in the winter.  I have thought about painting a sculpture with colored wax and crayons,  melting with a propane torch as I worked.  Good luck.   Denice

Archived