cbarnes

Hand painted Tile Pricing

Hello everyone,

I hand paint tiles to sell at market.  I did a cost analysis and i'm trying to figure out if I can charge more (i'm in the seattle area).   currently i'm charging $15 for the 4x4 tiles, $20 for 6x6.  I back them with cork also.  With costs I've determined its about $4.55 per tile not including my time.  some are pretty simple and I can do several at once so I figure about 1/2 hour per tile of time (then of course time sitting at the market selling).  the more intricate ones can take an hour or more.

they do sell well at these prices.  last few seasons I've been selling around 10 tiles or so per market day.

i'm wondering what other people who do similar art are charging?  or ways to improve costs & efficiency. 

samples attached.

tiles2.jpg

koi.jpg

tiles.jpg

A couple of questions: If you're buying them for 50 cents, where is the other $4.00 being spent? Is your decoration fired on, or just painted and sealed? How do people react to your current prices? If you feel like folks might be willing to spend more, then you can raise the price a couple of dollars and see how it goes. Pricing is difficult. Sometimes you just have to give it a try and see if they sell. I think if you made the tiles yourself, you would be able to charge more.

Have you checked out what other people who paint tiles are charging at the crafts fairs in Seattle or in gift shops?

That might be the best way of guessing what you could sell your tiles for.

There is an organization of makers of artisan tiles in Seattle , but they are making their own tiles and probably a different niche.

In late March is the Best of the NW at Magnusan park, where there will probably be people showing painted tiles like yours.

In November is the Tacoma Holiday Food and Gift show, where you would also find them, and in early November the Victorian Country Christmas.

Then there is Etsy, where you can search for Hand-Painted Cat tiles!  I saw some beautifully painted cat tiles on Etsy when I just looked in the 4" by 4" size .

Edited by Gabby

So far I've referenced Etsy for prices and tried to average out variables. 

Also make sure to look at how many sales the shop has had on Etsy, just because they've got 50 do-dads for such and such doesn't mean they're selling. 

Edited by yappystudent

One thing you might consider if you explore making your own tiles is charging more for the plain to offset the market limits on the relief. You get the whole project and the labor for the relief is somewhat spread to the glaze only tiles.

As far as just relief I think for many uniqueness and handmade by the artist is the driving force behind the choices more than just price since they are usually buying a small number of accents to add artistic flair to their project, still it might be really hard to move them at much over $20 and at that price you are just not covering cost very well.

You might also try to build a list designers that work with the custom home builders and get some glossy's out to them. They may have budgets that can absorb the extra cost to score something truly special for their clients.

beautiful work!  

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, neilestrick said:

A couple of questions: If you're buying them for 50 cents, where is the other $4.00 being spent? Is your decoration fired on, or just painted and sealed? How do people react to your current prices? If you feel like folks might be willing to spend more, then you can raise the price a couple of dollars and see how it goes. Pricing is difficult. Sometimes you just have to give it a try and see if they sell. I think if you made the tiles yourself, you would be able to charge more.

the other costs are the taxes, paint (I use commercial.. haven't learned to make my own yet) and they are all hand painted then a clear glaze, firing costs, etc.  As for the price and reaction, most people haven't even cared about the price, they just see a tile they want and buy it.  i may just do one market where i raise it up a few and see if they react the same.  i will also look at making my own tiles. 

thanks!

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

One thing you might consider if you explore making your own tiles is charging more for the plain to offset the market limits on the relief. You get the whole project and the labor for the relief is somewhat spread to the glaze only tiles.

As far as just relief I think for many uniqueness and handmade by the artist is the driving force behind the choices more than just price since they are usually buying a small number of accents to add artistic flair to their project, still it might be really hard to move them at much over $20 and at that price you are just not covering cost very well.

You might also try to build a list designers that work with the custom home builders and get some glossy's out to them. They may have budgets that can absorb the extra cost to score something truly special for their clients.

beautiful work!  

great ideas, thank you!  i hadn't thought of trying to sell to home builders.