Sign in to follow this  
Carol Teal

CONE 5 VS CONE 6

I am accustomed to firing cone 6 clay with cone 6 glazes.  now i've moved south and am using Laguna cone 5 clays and wondering if i'll have any problems with firing them to cone 5 so my cone 6 glazes behave as I'm used to.  Any advice?
thanks

carol

Did you mean: "if I'll have any problems with firing them to cone 6? 

The only way to know is to fire some test pots and see. The worst thing that can possibly happen just going a cone higher is bloating or warping. The only way to figure that out is to test it yourself. I figure firing cone 5 to 6 is fine as most cone 6 bodies fire fine to cone 7.

Glaze fit will be the only real question, some of your previous borderline glazes might craze since the clay change.

Edited by Joseph F

i wish there was an easy answer, but there is not. 

the only way to know is to try it. 

however having said that there is not that much difference between 5 and 6 esp. if firing electric.  at least there should  not be. 

i will go out on a limb and say you should not have any real problems overall except in a few cases. if you know your glazes well you can tell how they are doing.  ive taken ^5 to 6 but not the other way around. 

if anything you might have more problems with clay/glaze compatibility than underfired glazes.  with glaze recipes i have seen the range for what is called cone 6 is actually cone 5 to cone 7. i think john britt talks about this in his mid range book. however it depends on how finicky your glazes are. i have local potters here who have experimented a lot with their glazes and they have actually overfired to get the effect they want. 

A years back I had a colleague who acquired a half ton of cone 5 bmix. the next semester the studio changed from cone 5 to cone 10 firing.  She continued to use her cone 5 clay and it was fired to cone 10.  No problem, except she was the only one who could make cone 5 bmix work without slumping.  Her forms were small, sturdy, and without thin horizontal overhangs. 
LT