What's Your Work Music?

What music do you listen to (if you're able to) when you work with clay? 

For my part it's usually the new age genre. I make my own mix tapes when possible when I can catch a radio show, but since there don't seem to be any around since I moved, and I get sick of my vast collection of cassettes, these days I mostly type an artist into Youtube and let it roll with minor adjustments. Here's a link I use repeatedly for Brian Eno: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOLT2veHNE&list=RDWPOLT2veHNE&t=2

I usually listen to a bit of techno or trance music with very little words. However lately I have been listening to Fantastic Negrito.  

You have to really be in the mood to make the pots that you make with this stuff playing. It definitely alters the forms you make if you really let it get to you.

https://youtu.be/PH-G8vBpG9o

https://youtu.be/3B4FSeeXUaE

just a bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ws-GZVAj20 - no one knows who wrote this though.

Fantastic Negrito plays a good bit on BluesVille on Sirius/XM.

BluesVille is my goto channel. But when throwing or glazing, same as Joseph F, I like listening to the techno or trance, which is Electric Area on Sirius/XM - they really get cranked up on Friday nights.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I have hearing aids, and usually use a TV for company in the studio. It is turned up to 99, and I still really can't hear it all that well,  but it is the combination of sight and sound that keeps me company, and the fact that most of the shows are old friends. However, recently, I got new hearing aids with custom ear pieces, and they are rechargeable, so that means they are pretty much dust free (the old ones would get built up dust on inside filters). So maybe I'll listen to some music in the future, I can always turn to the tv music channels.

best,

Pres

Birds, wind sheep way distant but must say my hearing switches off when working so much so that I get shocked when my partner materializes from the gloom of his side of the she'. Gloom is my interpretation of his v. Neat side:_)))

• 3 weeks later...

My boom box has been with me for about 20 years and has clay all over it. Late at night it is whatever clear channel stations I can pick up. During the day, it depends if I can find the classic rock FM station or an AM talk station. Sometimes I just want to be quiet.

I listen to a wide variety of music while working at the wheel. Lately it's been a lot of First Aid Kit. But when I just need to crank out a bunch of pots for an hour, nothing beats Paul Simon's Graceland. It's old school, and it's the prefect energy level for throwing.

Your music selection makes mine feel a little juvenile -- I normally listen to AC/DC and a whole bunch of other rock music. But lately, I've only been listening to a Portuguese language podcast since I'm trying to learn the language.

• 6 months later...

I listen to audio books and podcats mostly. for books i really like most fantasy books, especially Harry Potter, Wheel of time, any of Brandon Sanderson's works. Podcasts I enjoy are The Adventure Zone, Saw Bones, Ted radio hour, sasquatch chronicles and startalk. otherwise if I listen to music I download a playlist I put togetherusing youtube red.

Studio/bike shop/workshop is rather a mess; so many projects to work on this year - shelves, shelves, racks, organize, paint, clean... s-can, donate, give away mountains of stuff -  however, priority project, surround sound, completed!

Local public radio (now'm retired, get to hear daytime shows! ...Morning Cup, Democracy Now, TED, On Being, Fresh Air, All Things, Hidden Brain, etc. ), all tracks on my mp3 player, rock, blues, folk... Gilbert&Sullivan, Alison Krauss, Leo Kottke, Milk Carton Kids ...Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Steppenwolf, Howlin' Wolf, yeeeees, I'm older than (most of) you.

Ahem, at the local JC, enjoyed Pandora  Bob Marley and Acoustic Blues stations enough that I'll (eventually) make a place t'park a stream source in the studio.

Yappy (Ann) come back!! You are missed, hope 2019 is good to and for you.

It's a funny questions because I like to listen to a wide variety of music from Stevie Wonder to Ed Sheeran and Johnny Cash. But when I'm in the studio it's either bluegrass via my Sara Jarosz Pandora station or Traditional Hawaiian music via my Keali'i Reichel Pandora station. I don't know why but to me bluegrass and pottery just makes sense.

Sadly these days- not music! Podcasts : Marketplace, Planet Money, the Indicator, Science Friday, ...(sometimes Fresh Air ) If I do put on music its usually heavily tilted towards Oscar Peterson,  then Deadmau5, Dyalla, Eddie Harris & Les McCann, Herbie Hancock,  Moby, Thelonius Monk,  The Byrds, Eric Burden & the Animals  :D

I have an itunes playlist which has got something like 20,000 songs on it. Everything from classical to death metal. It goes on shuffle in the morning, and some days I dont touch it. Sometimes Ill hear a song or an artist which hits my mood just right and Ill play more of it.

It usually freaks the hell out of people in my studio when it goes from Cat Stevens singing sweet folk music, to something that is barely understandable as a singular word and more of a guttural scream. Also freaks them out when I burst into singing, or an impromptu dance party....generally in between carrying pots to and fro.

Archived