I can't believe that it has been nearly 2 years since I was last active here.  In that time the family took an adult ed pottery class,  started appreciating and collecting other peoples work, and just recently we bought the contents of a  defunct ceramic shop.   And suddenly I found that we could really use a second wheel to supplement the first wheel I converted to treadmill power.  And as is too often the case, I wanted it now, wanted it cheap, and could find absolutely nothing used available within a three state radius.  So I made my own.  I have been using this now for a couple of weeks and it works fine.  If I were to do it over (and i already have plans to do another) I would make the table around the splash pan smaller, probably go three legs rather than 4, and I will likely pick the splash pan or build it and then design the table top specifically with the pan in mind.   So after the build I did a quick video to show my results.  

On 2/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, Marcia Selsor said:

Nice job! I'd get a larger pulley because that goes way too fast for me. Good job though. Nicely done.

Marcia

Yeah, I doubled the size of the pulley after the first couple of days.  Since then I have thrown about 20 bowls and various other things on it with good results.  I also put the knob back on the speed control so you can get ahold of it with slick fingers.  

On 2/20/2018 at 3:05 PM, Mark C. said:

Good job. I'm guessing you made it as one would build a car-because they wanted to.

I have thrown on knob controlled wheels and for me the foot pedal is far easier.

Fast is not one of my skills.  At class, when I used the foot pedal I seemed to keep bumping the thing somehow.  Plus, I was too lazy to try to engineer a foot feed for the treadmill set up.   I have an old Amaco kick  wheel that was already converted to the treadmill motor and it works well for us for now.  Initially I was building this wheel primarily to use for trimming with a griffin grip, I was just planning on leaving it set up that way.  But since I built it, it is the only one I have used and the griffin grip remains sitting next to the old wheel.  Guess I will have to make another one for trimming. 

Archived