Advancer Kiln Shelves

Rex Johnson

20 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

Buying shelves is about as fun as buying car tires.   Nothing new or interesting, just back to about where you started. 

I just got new tires about 3 weeks ago, and every time it rains or snows I am amazed at how well they grip. I'm just amazed at how good they are. Best tires I've ever had, most exciting tire purchase ever!

34 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I just got new tires about 3 weeks ago, and every time it rains or snows I am amazed at how well they grip. I'm just amazed at how good they are. Best tires I've ever had, most exciting tire purchase ever!

Man it must be cold and slow in IL this time of year.

You are in luck my friend because I'm told later today there will be lots of tire commercials on  TV during some sporting event that I do not follow.

well some really good input here folks and thanks.

Mark, I did get ahold of Bailey about the Thermal-lite shelves  (12x24 9 lbs/$190 each) and the Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide shelves (2x24 14 lbs/ $60 each)

Doesn't appear the longevity and advantage of the Nitrides would be in the realm of the Therma-Lite or Advancers.

The kicker ordering from bailey though is the cost of shipping to California per Bailey:

SHIPPING CHARGES:

$ 40.00 PACKING

$ 287.00 - RESIDENTIAL W/LIFTGATE SERVICE

The other option from Sharp is the Cryston TW shelf  (12x24 9lbs/$165 each):

Thanks for your inquiry.  As long as you aren’t force cooling the kiln by blowing cold air into it, there won’t be a problem.  If temperature is falling naturally at

100 ° F per hour, it should be relatively even for the shelves.   What we’re trying tp avoid is uneven cooling leading to temperature gradients from one edge of the shelf to the other. 

You could look at using Advancer or our Cryston TW shelf which is like and Advancer in thickness and weight but has more open porosity (9% vs <1%). So not quite as glaze resistant. 

Marshall Browne
Smith-Sharpe Fire Brick Supply

On 2/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Mark C. said:

Man it must be cold and slow in IL this time of year.

You are in luck my friend because I'm told later today there will be lots of tire commercials on  TV during some sporting event that I do not follow.

You could look at Superb Owl rather than that sporting event.

Everyone has already covered all the big points. Ive had about 20 of them for almost two years now. Im a full time production potter firing a 60 cu ft cone 12 kiln about 60 times a year. In my opinion; if you can afford them, buy them. They are worth the cost if you make a living or have a budget to blow. You wont regret the shelves in any manner.

Archived