moh

Safe to use Metal Clay in same kiln used for ceramic?

Hello!

I've been working on having more community events at the studio for self enrichment and you know, community building purposes.
There was a group of metal clay crafters who were interested in firing some of their stuff here and it sounds interest, but I'm also not sure if any of that stuff can contaminate the kiln environment and cause firing issues for my own work.

It's stuff like this https://www.cooltools.us/Aussie-Metal-Clay-Antarctic-Moonlight-p/aus-124-p.htm and PMC Clay.

Any experienced folks here? Would it cause any change in the environment?

Much thanks

It is safe to fire PMC Clay in your kiln. The metal clay will not contaminate the kiln. However, if the metal clay is placed on a kiln shelf, the shelf itself may become contaminated. This causes clear glass to turn slightly yellowish. But it might not affect ceramic glazes that are fired on the same shelf.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I bought a used small kiln from a woman who used it solely for metal clay, I've used it to make low fire ceramic test tiles with many different glazes and everything was fine. I did use a new shelf though, as those were not included in the sale.