Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wilboy64

Moist Clay Molding In The Plastic Bags

Recommended Posts

Wilboy64    0

I have several 25lb. bags of clay that I have had less than a month and when I go to get one out the clay is growing gray mold on it. Is this normal??? Can I add a mixture of Clorox / water to the clay to kill it? What is the normal way to handle this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Campbell    1,088

I have never had this happen with such new clay ... Call your supplier and ask them about it.

Doesn't seem right to me.

 

I have had clay for years and there is no mold on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hansen    3

I have several 25lb. bags of clay that I have had less than a month and when I go to get one out the clay is growing gray mold on it. Is this normal??? Can I add a mixture of Clorox / water to the clay to kill it? What is the normal way to handle this problem?

 

Wilboy: That happened to me once too. I think I just wedged it in. Not all clays will grow mold certainly. I wonder why some does?

h a n s e n

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
terraforma    4

Mold is a common occurance with clays, and will not cause any problems in the final fired product - no need to add Clorox or anything else. In fact, in Japan traditionalists will age clay for very long periods of time (it's been said that the grandfather will set aside clay that the grandson will use), and the mold is a desirable indication of good aging.

 

No worries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyL    23

It's a normal thing to happen to clay that's aged. It's desirable IMO. Don't worry. It'll burn out and not effect your pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Britt    2

I have several 25lb. bags of clay that I have had less than a month and when I go to get one out the clay is growing gray mold on it. Is this normal??? Can I add a mixture of Clorox / water to the clay to kill it? What is the normal way to handle this problem?

 

 

I think that this is pretty common. Depends on the area and season of the year (various mold spores). Just wedge it and proceed. I think the Clorox would work to killl the mold but is hard on your hands.

 

www.johnbrittpottery.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×