Working less-sort of

I have been trying to slow the work down a bit over time as I try to slow down production.

This years totals are in . 

In 2016

I fired 26-     35 cubic foot gas car kiln loads

and 28 -          12 cubic foot small gas kiln loads

In 2017

I fired 23 car kiln loads and

27 small kiln loads

or 1,129 cubic feet of functional pottery.

It looks like that was about 9 tons of porcelain vs the 10 tons from 2016

I'm in my forced time off now doing the business book keeping- data entry-tree pruning-ocean crabbing-taking walks.studio cleaning

this years clay and materials are coming in next week about 12 tons of stuff -I need to sort thru about 40 boxes of pots and get it organized .

I plan on going back to work for few weeks before our month long trip to an Island in the Pacific-where it looks like I'll be helping convert another kiln to a salt kiln.

2018-I hope to fire  a few less kilns-we shall see.

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

It looks like that was about 9 tons of porcelain vs the 10 tons from 2016

I picture you having arms like Popeye throwing all that clay.

• 5 weeks later...

Im with you Mark; 2017 I fired 60, 60 cu/ft car loads using about 9 tons of clay. Im looking forward to the day when my prices go up and pots go down. Id like the make the same income from 2 tons as I do now with 9 tons.  Unfortunately Im at the point with my business where Im actually going up and not down. Sigh!

I have a lot of time to think about useless stuff when I drive to and from shows. One time I was curious to figure out how many times each # of clay gets handled from the time I pick it up off the supply store floor to the time I hand it to a customer. Its a disgusting like 30 some times each pound gets handled. Im tired of handling 270 tons each year! It would be nice to get paid $1 for each pound moved a year!

Read the ad in CM; enjoyed it thoroughly!

Archived