Rockhopper

How much clay for kitchen canisters ?

I agreed to try to make a set of 3 canisters for my wife, to go with the wall tiles I'm making for the backsplash in our kitchen.  The largest would need to be big enough to hold five pounds of flour. 

Most of my throwing has been mugs, bowls, and a few relatively small vases - nothing over about three pounds starting weight.   I know I would need more than that, but have no real idea how much more.  I realize there are a number of factors that could influence the answer, but would appreciate suggestions for a good starting point.

I would suggest 10#s 7#s  3.5 to 4#s

I throw mine out of Porcelain I make 3 and 4 piece sets. For a 4 piece I downsized the smallest size .Stoneware throws better so less clay would be needed and your skill level will also be a factor in throwing .

I never thought about the largest  one as holding 5#s of flour so you may have to tune up that size but I think my largest would hold that.I'm just not buying flour in a 5# bag enough to know that size..

My lids are always measured in metric -largest 20mm next 16mm and smallest 13mm.

My throwing weights for all my production  items are in the next issue of Ceramic Monthly (February issue) if you want to know more.

I always have 3-4 sets on my booth for art show.

Edited by Mark C.

Thanks Mark!  

I'm throwing Standard #112 stoneware...  and skill level (or lack of) will definitely be a factor.  I've made a few pieces the same height as the largest one I'm aiming for - but they've all been vases, about half the diameter.  But.. hey, it's new-year's eve... what better time to start making plans to 'expand' my skills ;)

I just measured the large one I would be replacing ...  it's approx. 6.5 - 7" across x 8" high not including the domed lid...  How does that compare with your 10# size ? 

11 hours ago, Mark C. said:

My lids are always measured in metric -largest 20mm next 16mm and smallest 13mm.

I'm guessing you mean cm ?   Those sizes in mm, converted to inches would be (approx):   3/4" , 5/8",  and 1/2".      If cm, it's approx.  8", 6", and 5"

Edited by Rockhopper

55 minutes ago, D.M.Ernst said:

You might try throwing two short cylinders of the same diameter and joining them to make the height you need.

Thanks DM.   Just watched this video a few days ago, showing it done that way.  Definitely something I'm considering.    Might be a few weeks before I get 'round to tackling this project, but will post results when I do.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:02 AM, Rockhopper said:

Thanks Mark!  

I'm throwing Standard #112 stoneware...  and skill level (or lack of) will definitely be a factor.  I've made a few pieces the same height as the largest one I'm aiming for - but they've all been vases, about half the diameter.  But.. hey, it's new-year's eve... what better time to start making plans to 'expand' my skills ;)

I just measured the large one I would be replacing ...  it's approx. 6.5 - 7" across x 8" high not including the domed lid...  How does that compare with your 10# size ? 

I'm guessing you mean cm ?   Those sizes in mm, converted to inches would be (approx):   3/4" , 5/8",  and 1/2".      If cm, it's approx.  8", 6", and 5"

I also have made canisters,  using 112. I kept  things simple 8, 6, 4. these were all thrown with lids first off of the hump,  then the cylinders.Your measurements for size seem about right.

besst,

Pres

the amount of clay used depends mainly on your throwing abilities. For me a 10# jar would hold way more than 5 pounds of flour; I make utensil crocks which use 3# of clay and they are thrown to 7.5" high x 7" wide ; not pulled excessively thin but uniform.

A helpful tip though if you are wanting to make an item to be a certain size, or hold a certain volume; a formula to calculate your final size which factors in your shrink rate. 1- (shrinkage rate)=x, divide your desired dimension by x=wet thrown size. i.e. if I wanted to make a 4" object.  1-.12=.88, 4/.88=4.54

You can eyeball the size you need by looking at and measuring a 5# bag of flour, or pour it into a round container that's a similar size to what you want. I dont have a formula for calculating necessary volumes even though I know they exist.

52 minutes ago, hitchmss said:

You can eyeball the size you need by looking at and measuring a 5# bag of flour, or pour it into a round container that's a similar size to what you want. I dont have a formula for calculating necessary volumes even though I know they exist.

We have a set of store-bought canisters that we're replacing - so determining correct finished size is no problem.  They're just a lot bigger than I'm use to throwing, so wanted to get a ball-park range of how much clay to use.  I will probably start with 3-4 pounds, and see what I can get from that - then figure out how much to add, to get to the size I need for the biggest one.  

Sorry I dropped off this thread as I was away for a week over the new year and missed your questions. I never measure heights just weights-they are what they are and my large one after seeing 5#s of flour (we buy ours in bulks so a 5# bag is not a known for me) would hold about 2 of those bags.I tend to standardize the lids . That hold true to all the lids I make on all pots.

for stoneware Pres's weights seem about right .

I always wonder what folks put in these canister sets.Many buy them for show I think ?

And yes cm on the lids 20 on the large pot 16 on the med and 13 on the small for the seats and lids.

Finally got them finished, so thought I'd share a pic.  Made the smallest one first, with rim folded over to create the gallery - then went a different direction and collared-in on the other two. 

The biggest is about 7 pounds, plus the lid, made in two sections (a large dish with a bottomless cylinder added).  I think I got the diameters about right, but neither of the larger ones is as tall as I was aiming for.  If I make another set, I'll probably add another 2 inches to the height - at-least on the biggest one.

Overall I think they turned out pretty good for a first go at something that big, and my wife says they look great in the kitchen, so I guess I can call the project a success:)

Img_1318b.jpg

Yeah, I've have to do some canisters, 2 sets of 3, one in white clay (using SC 630) and one in SC hazelnut brown. This will be the first time for the 630 in a larger piece, hoping it throws as well as the Hazelnut. I imagine it will, as I throw pretty dry after centering and opening up. Let you know when I finish them up.

Doing teapots right now, and may try out the 630 with some of them. Putting extruded handles on. body handles. . . thrown top lids, and some decorative.

best,

Pres