nathanhinshaw

Thoughts on the Cress FX-23 P

Hello all, I'm looking at purchasing a used Cress FX-23 P electric kiln and wondering if anyone has experience with this model? It's just shy of $500 which seems a fair price(?). I'm planning to use it primarily as a bisque kiln, perhaps with a few ^6 fires thrown in for fun. It seems like a sound buy from a company that is still active but if anyone has experiences (good or bad) I'm all ears.

Also if anyone can spot check me on this: I had a 240v outlet installed sometime ago for an electric dryer and I'm thinking we can re-purpose that for the kiln (it's asking for 220v and 25amps on the face-plate)--seem sound?

Thanks!

Quick follow up: I've just gotten an image of the kiln and it seems like it might be a little worse for wear, but I'm not totally sure. I'll attach an image but there is some cracking on the floor and some of the coils look a bit loose. I'd appreciate any advice the community has about the state, questions to ask or issues to look for, and any impact on price or reliability those things might have.

interiorkiln.jpg

Edited by nathanhinshaw

As long as the bricks aren't missing big chunks, they're fine. A little chipping along the element groove is normal, happens when you replace the elements. You can get the elements back in by heating them with a torch and pushing them in with pliers, or they may even go back without heating. Just pin them back into place. The floor cracks are no big deal if they don't go all the way through. If they do go through, you can always put a piece of sheet metal on top of the stand to help support it more.

What's the amperage of the breaker on your 240 volt line? What is the peak temp rating of the kiln?

nathanhinshaw likes this

Hi Neil, thanks for the reply and your comments.

Based on what I've found for kilns sharing this model number (not the "P" specifically but other FX-23s) it will fire to ^10 (Max. No. of Cone / Max. Temperature   10 / 2350 ºF).  Amperage on the panel is 100, 30 on the breaker--how does all that strike you?

What does the 'P' mean? I ca't find that model listed anywhere on the Cress web site. No wiring diagram, nothing. There are a couple of other models with the 'P' in their name, but they don't appear to be any different than those with an 'F'. Call Cress and get some info.

In your photo there appears to be a thermocouple. Does the kiln have a digital controller? The FX models are supposed to be manual, with the thumbwheel control.

30 amp breaker will work.

Funny as I am also looking at that very same kiln an can not find any information on the "P" either. I was told this model is 7 to  8 years old, Its between this one and a very gently used 10 Skutt digital. My 40 year old Skutt just quit working so I am very wary of buying another model as that is all I have ever used. ANyone have any thing to add?

Thanks to all!

B

16 minutes ago, Karmakee Farm said:

Funny as I am also looking at that very same kiln an can not find any information on the "P" either. I was told this model is 7 to  8 years old, Its between this one and a very gently used 10 Skutt digital. My 40 year old Skutt just quit working so I am very wary of buying another model as that is all I have ever used. ANyone have any thing to add?

Thanks to all!

B

So I ended up passing on this for a few reasons. Ultimately it came down to money but that was driven by the heating element layout for this kiln. The center of the kiln has substantial (at least based on it's overall size) zone with no elements creating an kiln that's larger than it should be for the power it can deliver.

I'm still on the hunt myself, but would say based on my research and the very sage advice of people on this forum (thanks Neil!), that unless you've got a monster of a deal on the kiln it's not a long haul investment.