What do students really want from the studio they use.

1. a clean studio -- i cant tell you how frustrating it is to try to work around another persons messy piles, trimmings, and clutter! respect the community space!

2. Clear, color prints of pots large enough to view details. (like the size of a 8.5x11).

3. Maybe instead of prints of pots, Actual pots! perhaps have a small display case that students can get juried into! id love that!

4. No need for instructional posters.

ps - im not a university student anymore, but i will always be a student!

= a space that everyone respects , especially work stations that are shared, nothing worse than going to the plaster room and you have to spend 40 minutes cleaning up the last persons stuff before you can use anything!

= a quiet appreciation that peoples time in their is precious. It's a juggle in anyones life to allocate an hour or two of studio time. Please dont sit in my space and talk for ages about your sick dog, your crappy spouse etc etc (I'm a very social person really, just hate my studio time being wasted)

= access to a good visual and technical resource library

= an opportunity for people to show and tell about their work, to hear what inspired them

= a no music rule- everyone has different tastes, use ear phones for your favourite tunes

= a mentor that hovers, within reach for advice, and when convo's could interest others pulls the group together

= lots of light!

= a selection of pots/items that can be held and explored with the senses, not in a glass cupboard

Hey thanks for the replies!

I get my students to fire even the crappiest of pots so that we can do glaze tests ect. It helps so that they can start to experience the thrill of developing their own glazes or combos thereof. I am a clean freak, and so clean is good! Good tip about the music though, I normally have the radio going but have never thought to ask if it bothers anyone. Definately will now. If you had access to a photo box would you use it? Think it a good addition? Thanks Trina

Clay. Classes started at the studio this week (my handbuilding starts tomorrow). No clay, though. If you run a studio/supply store that offers classes, you need to have clay. That's a rather basic expectation.

Oh ya having clay helps.... ;)

when I took class I liked silence so I could immerse in my work, I don't like -oh it's so nice/real/blablabla, but appreciate an observation, not interpretation, but pointing weaknesses and strength and why; I don't like other hands showing me things on my work, I can understand words! and I have the option to go in other or that direction. but may be I was in the wrong class!unsure.gif

I specially like to be shown alternative techniques to achieve things, also I appreciate calm, patience, respectful curiosity... I like to find the tools where ever they have to be, find (and leave) clean surfaces. I don't mind people arriving at different times or passing by...I like to see artwork from the professor and other mature artists, I learn a lot seeing! tongue.gif

Clay. Classes started at the studio this week (my handbuilding starts tomorrow). No clay, though. If you run a studio/supply store that offers classes, you need to have clay. That's a rather basic expectation.

This happened last Semester to us as well. It was very frustrating in light of the fact that school policy forbids bring in clay from outside sources.sad.gif

Hi Trina

by a photo box, do you mean a set up area to take good photos of your work?

That would be a great asset in a studio in my opinion

Last year I did a one day workshop on 'photographing ceramics well' & it was WAY over my head. Geared towards people who had a stack of expensive photography equipment. I was hoping to learn how to set up a basic 'booth' for my studio

cheers, Lyn

Hi Trina

by a photo box, do you mean a set up area to take good photos of your work?

That would be a great asset in a studio in my opinion

Last year I did a one day workshop on 'photographing ceramics well' & it was WAY over my head. Geared towards people who had a stack of expensive photography equipment. I was hoping to learn how to set up a basic 'booth' for my studio

cheers, Lyn

hi lyn

that is exactly what i am talking about, just a simple box and digital camera nad maybe a small light source. I will let you know how it works out. Trina

when I took class I liked silence so I could immerse in my work, I don't like -oh it's so nice/real/blablabla, but appreciate an observation, not interpretation, but pointing weaknesses and strength and why; I don't like other hands showing me things on my work, I can understand words! and I have the option to go in other or that direction. but may be I was in the wrong class!unsure.gif

I specially like to be shown alternative techniques to achieve things, also I appreciate calm, patience, respectful curiosity... I like to find the tools where ever they have to be, find (and leave) clean surfaces. I don't mind people arriving at different times or passing by...I like to see artwork from the professor and other mature artists, I learn a lot seeing! tongue.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I love your little creature guy. I am not that articulate so I always keep bits of clay in various states of dryness, to show my students what i am talking about, maybe try that, nothing like being able to pull out a piece of leather hard clay and tell the instructor carve, add or demonstrate with this piece. I find this very useful when demonstating faces or just eyes. I would hate it if I was responsible for making everything look my way. Trina

Thanks Trina, visual demonstration works very well with me so your keeping clay atdifferent dryness is a cool suggestion!

I noticed in your profile you have a video, could I see it? also that you live in Spain...nice! I went to Madrid and Barcelona and felt very much at home

about the little the little guy: it's my blind rabbit...wacko.gif

Thanks Trina, visual demonstration works very well with me so your keeping clay atdifferent dryness is a cool suggestion!

I noticed in your profile you have a video, could I see it? also that you live in Spain...nice! I went to Madrid and Barcelona and felt very much at home

I would love you to see my video

I think that is the link. If that doesn't work just go to you tube and put in making of a mural by trina doerr and it will come up. Ya, I love living in Spain today it is sunny and about 20C. ;) I am going to try to send you a pic of some of my little monster people. It might make you laugh...Trina

post-8183-132612353576_thumb.jpgpost-8183-132612353576_thumb.jpg

I think that is the link. If that doesn't work just go to you tube and put in making of a mural by trina doerr and it will come up. Ya, I love living in Spain today it is sunny and about 20C. ;) I am going to try to send you a pic of some of my little monster people. It might make you laugh...Trina

Quite an endeavor, with great results. You should be tickled pink!:)

Quite an endeavor, with great results. You should be tickled pink!:)

Ah Thanks Trina

Archived