Rockhopper

Kiln temp vs room temp - safe margin to open & unload?

22 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! 

You know that pesky little device called a kiln sitter...you know...the one that has the timer knob that you set when you're manually operating the kiln...you know...the one that, when you have an electronic controller, doesn't need an external timer...and when you use the controller, you really don't need a timer and FORGET to set it...and when you forget to set it, it shuts off the power to the elements when it times out but doesn't tell your controller...THAT  #@&%$# kiln sitter? You know...the one that is going to be bypassed as soon as this firing is done and cooled!

Just saying...

Easy enough to rewire it and take the timer out of the equation. If you don't want to use the sitter as a backup device, I've even removed the entire sitter and replaced it with a small access box screwed to the outside of the sitter box, with a terminal strip to distribute the power directly to the elements.

SUCCESS! With the +45*  offset on the TC, lowering the end temp to 2200* from 2225* and a 25 minute soak at the end, the kiln fired perfectly to ^6. The bowls came out looking good with no blistering like the previous load, I'm going to try to add more glaze to some of the previous load and refire to my new specs with a slow burn through 1067*. What have I got to lose?

Each of the 10 bowls in this load had a different glaze combo with decidedly different glaze effects, Some in the OK range that I won't do again and some that were pretty spectacular that I will try to reproduce in the future knowing that, at best, I may come close.

20 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Easy enough to rewire it and take the timer out of the equation. If you don't want to use the sitter as a backup device, I've even removed the entire sitter and replaced it with a small access box screwed to the outside of the sitter box, with a terminal strip to distribute the power directly to the elements.

I will be removing the kiln sitter and rewiring as necessary today...