Sign in to follow this  
Mark C.

Energy Rate Reductions

Out here in the west our electric rates are sky high. I have become aware of a way to reduce them by owning an electric car. Our local utility PG&E gives you an across the board reduced electric rate for owning an electric car. So if that idea fits your auto usage (its does not fit ours) you could check into those discounts with your utility.

On a more closer to home for me I have just signed onto a core transport agent contract (third party gas supplier CTA) that will reduce my natural gas cost about ½ per thermal unit

If you use gas many utility companies now let you buy from third party suppliers at les costs. Your utility company still bills you and keeps track of usage as they use the same equipment to supply you (pipes and meters).

I signed a 12 month contract at .45 cents per therm which is less than ½ the cost I'm paying now for a therm via PG&E on my commercial flat rate. You will be locked into this flat rate contract for 12 months at whatever rate they offer you and in 12 months they will offer you another contract at a future rate. If you want out early its 150$ for early termination. It takes a few billing cycles to get this up and running.

You can check with your utility on who your third party Core Transport Agents are (CTA's)

Last years gas bill on my commercial meter was $3,610.00 this should put a real dent in those costs. I’ll let you know if this works out as well as it sounds on paper.

Edited by Mark C.
Marcia Selsor likes this

Wow, that's not cheap @Mark C..

The cheapest I can find for my area is 3.862p per kWh.  Converting that to US therms gives 0.00131808374p per therm.  At current exchange rate, that's .0018 cents per therm.

And I thought UK gas prices were high!

I always get offers from alternate energy providers for both gas and electricity. I've tried them in the past, and the whole village signed up with one at one point. They have always been good for the contract time, but then they go back up. I think they're banking on people not wanted to deal with the hassle of switching back later. I just stick with my regular utility. I've also seen some that have 12 month contracts, but only lock in the good rate for the first 6 months. I hope yours works out for you, Mark. Just remember to check on the rates again when your contract is up. There may be something in there that lets them jack the rates up if you're off-contract.

D.M.Ernst likes this

Neil

Thanks and I plan on being all over them at renewal time as I always know my current rates.

It was a bit of trouble signing on but not bad.I have no issues with going back to my regular utility if they raise rates as well. This contract is for 12 months at a fixed rate so they cannot change 1/2 way thru.

I'm always suspect of things that souped to good to be true.