QothW: What kitchen tools have you repurposed for in your Ceramics studio?

Again folks, there was nothing new in the QotW pool of questions so this one is again on me. I just did tools under $100 dollars, now I am going to go in a different direction. . . . What kitchen tools have you repurposed, is there such a word, for use in your Ceramics studio?

I have found several tools that were kitchen items that I now use either because I have seen something about using the item, or because I was looking for something and found something else. . . make sense?  I will start with cheese cutters and cutting wires used to replace their broken wires. I love these for faceting pots, mugs, bowls, jars, vases, and other things where I want a faceted exterior. I usually facet before the shaping so that the facets become much more muted, and the edges a little softer. At the same time shaping will cause the facets to move in a spiral up the piece if you torque the top a bit while working on the rim and neck. Often these are really nice with glaze as the edges will break well with the standard cone 6 glazes out there, double dipping often even more so. Working with the cheese cutter, caused me to consider another tool for chalice stems. . . the potato peeler. I have found that faceting the stems of my chalice is so much easier and really cool to facet part of the stem as it makes it easier to grip.

Lately, I have been using a silicone hot pad that has a hexagonal pattern n the surface that is quite deep, at the same time there is a counter point of a circle and rounded edges on the square pad. All of these allow for a lot of playing around with straights circular and hex patterns pressed into the pot before shaping again. Love it, and it works really well with a roller I picked up of pine branches, needles and cones.

Most of you probably have the portable drink blender in the studio for mixing up glazes, I use it to mix nice slips with stain coloring, and small batches of glazes that I have modified with extra metallic oxides for something to be sprayed on.

I also have a series of kitchen knives that I have files to change the shape, and sharpened to use as fettling knives or potter's knives.

What recycled or repurposed tool do you prize in the studio? More than one? 

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned this topic

I have stainless steel table knives sharpened and reshaped into trimming tools.

A spoon sharpened into a tool for cutting foot rings on tea bowls

a serving spoon bent to form a chattering tool, 

and the 'of course' use of that thing-aha-my-jig that was originally sold to pastry chefs for making pie crusts and   is now used make thin slabs of clay  out of thick ones; aka the rolling pin. 

LT

I use my full size blender (thrift store buy) each week almost to mix the rough stuff like Zinc Oxide or any heavy clumping material in a glaze . A few minutes in the blender then pour to thru my talisman 80 mesh into the main glaze I'm mixing up.

I'll add the tool part later its late.

Stick blender for making slip. I use a silicone spatula for scraping out my bucket of throwing water and sludge into the recycle bucket. I use a bamboo rice paddle to scoop the recycled clay slop out of the recycle bucket and onto plaster batts for drying out. 

Besides the rolling pins, knives, forks, spoons, blender, mixing bowels, and all sorts of plastic plates, containers, etc. I love my cheese cutters and graters and pizza cutter. Also the rubber jar opener....is great for opening stubborn lids.  Amazing how many things one can put to an "alternative" use. By the way, wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.

I bought a set of small silicone paddles, spatulas and spoons on closeout,  they are perfect for smoothing inside a coiled pot.  I actually bought these at a store I usually get things like that at estate or garage sales.   I am not sure what these were made for,  maybe a children's toy kitchenette.    Denice

I also use a cheese cutter for facetting but I like the one with the adjustable screw on it so I can take off as thin or as thick a slice as my wall thickness allows. I don't need to be so steady of hand. I am using smooth edged plastic bats (not the ones with bumps) and old records to make bowls...remember the hint for using cd's? I use the new stainless rasps (zesters) for speedy trimming.

I have a rotary whisk that was sent from my aunt in Winnipeg to my parents for their wedding present over 60 years ago.  It spins so smoothly, and Iv'e never found one to buy that feels so nice to use.

Stainless steel sieves in various sizes, they store smaller than the traditional bamboo pottery ones.

The usual selection of spatulas, spoons, knives etc.

Stick blender.

• Pres unpinned this topic

Archived