• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Jime

Jime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

This is a really useful thread, as I'm sitting here waiting to peek in the kiln.
I have a pretty basic setup, so I don't have a way to measure the temperature inside the kiln. Does anyone have tricks for gauging the temperature inside?
When the kiln was pitch black inside I took out the second peep.
I've heard of people doing the paper test, but I'm not too sure what temperature is represented by which results. I just took some paper and left it in for 10 seconds, and got a tiiiiiny bit of color change, barely tan, not brown.
I have a small electric cress 23. Any idea what temp it might be if the top of the lid is warm? cool?
thanks!

#42 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Paper will smolder above 400 degrees. Just stick a rolled up piece in the peep hole and see what happens.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#43 Roger Gilmour

Roger Gilmour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hi all...

I have heard that opening the kiln between 200°F and 100°F is bad for the elements, causing them to wear out prematurely. Same for pulling the plugs or cracking the lid. Regardless if it's bisque or glaze.

I can't find any data to back that up. 

I can understand the care for porcelain, as that material would need careful cooling. but if one is quickly fetching out pieces, not leaving the lid open, I fail to see the harm in opening the lid versus the life of the elements.

In reading this thread, I see none has mentioned the elements even once. 

I can respect the concern (where I first heard it) they have about waiting to give the elements a good run for the money, but if its truly moot and has no impact on the elements, then it would be really nice to clear that up.

Any one know?

Thanks

RG

#44 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

You probably have a lot more pieces in a bisque firing to hold the heat in the kiln compared to the air in a glaze firing.

My kiln shuts itself off usually late afternoon early evening (4-6:00pm) and I don't open it until the morning. I have noticed that my bisque firings are warm to touch in the morning and my glazed firings are usually cool to touch even though I expected them to be hotter since they get up to a higher temperature. I am assuming it's due to the glaze being less absorbent of the temperature.
I dont have a temperature on my kiln and I rely completely on the cones. So I have to wait until the next morning because I don't want to take a chance.

I only open my kiln under 150degC after reading articles saying glazes are more about what happens after the kiln is turned off.

I usually forget how hot 150 is and burn my fingers on the pots. I think too relatively.

No idea about element life, I mean they go from room temps to very hot quite quickly so is it any worse the other way round?

#45 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi all...

I have heard that opening the kiln between 200°F and 100°F is bad for the elements, causing them to wear out prematurely. Same for pulling the plugs or cracking the lid. Regardless if it's bisque or glaze.

I can't find any data to back that up. 

I can understand the care for porcelain, as that material would need careful cooling. but if one is quickly fetching out pieces, not leaving the lid open, I fail to see the harm in opening the lid versus the life of the elements.

In reading this thread, I see none has mentioned the elements even once. 

I can respect the concern (where I first heard it) they have about waiting to give the elements a good run for the money, but if its truly moot and has no impact on the elements, then it would be really nice to clear that up.

Any one know?

Thanks

RG

Nope, never heard that. If you waited for the kiln to get below 100F  before opening, it would take days. You've got to get the lid open at some point.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users