tools or methods drawing fine lines of underglaze

dAO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/22/2017 at 5:24 PM, RonSa said:

Even though the photo shows 5 brushes I think I may have been mistaken and that price is only for one brush. I hope I'm wrong and if not I apologize for the link.

38 minutes ago, oldlady said:

ron, i am pretty sure there are 5 brushes.  when i ordered the set, i was not asked what size i wanted, therefore i assume i will get them all.

It's pretty deceptive, but I think it is for one brush even though it shows a set of 5 different sized brushes.  The listing for the item is "MACK Sword Striper PINSTRIPING BRUSH 20 SERIES Size 00"  Size 00  is the brush size.  :wacko:

FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT THE NEW FORUM!!!

sometimes i forgot to hit "post" on the old forum and totally lost what i had typed.  very frustrating.

just now when i was looking for something else i found this discussion about the brushes and realized that the last thing i said was not here.  SURPRISE!  it was waiting for me and i posted it above!  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

ron, well, my package arrived and you are right, i got one tiny 00 brush, the exact kind i got at the local retail auto parts store.  so, i will return the unused one to the auto parts store and ask for a larger one so i have 2 sizes.

bad ad for the online brush.:angry:

BTW it took all day for me to find this post.  HATE this people directed website.  had to find it by going to joseph f and searching his entries back to this topic.  searching "fine line" did not work and i could not remember who else had a comment.

Hi everyone, and Happy new year.

I got my RULING PEN from amazon today, looking forward to putting it to use. When I tried to use it (try it out?)

I found out that under glaze's are way too thick right out of the bottle. The question is, how much can you thin a

under glaze with water before it becomes too thinned to be useful?

Thanks for your help.

Graybeard

15 hours ago, graybeard said:

found out that under glaze's are way too thick right out of the bottle. The question is, how much can you thin a

under glaze with water before it becomes too thinned to be useful?

It will depend on what you’re trying to achieve, and which underglaze you’re using. I thin my underglaze quite a bit for the ruling pen, to the consistency of india ink. I’m using black underglaze and I think it still reads as black.

75302945-2E89-4CFA-A085-9D0C1F05D173.jpeg.371f2899340c1bbfff3d0deb01d96e80.jpeg

roberta, that is where i got mine.  there are 5 shown in the ad but you only get the one size,  00.  the auto parts store is a dollar less and they have a choice of sizes.

edit..  i took back the small one i bought at the parts store and ordered the biggest one they have, about 3/4 inch wide.  it was $2 more and well worth it.

25 minutes ago, Sputty said:

How much pressure is needed to get a flow of pigment?

Not much, about the same as using a pen with a nib. A wider line needs even less pressure

You can make one (of these 'tools')  out of a soda straw by carefully cutting a nib in the end of the straw and then adjusting the distance between the two tines. 
The ease of use of the tool depends on the surface tension of the liquid (ink, slurry, ...) along with the liquid wetting characteristics on the nib and on the surface to which the liquid is being applied.  I made a similar tool once using two coffee stirrers separated with card stock and held together with tape. 
LT

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Irene the Handbuilder said:

Interesting question about thinning the underglaze to be used with the ruling pen... Would it be feasible to use a deflocculant to increase fluidity without diluting the underglaze? I am soooo ordering one of these pens tonight! Any feedback on changing underglaze viscosity  would be much appreciated.

Deflocculating would probably work, although if you go too far it will settle out badly. Be gentle.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old thread, but I was looking for a way to draw lines on clay - and I am not an artist....

Found the thread about ruling pens and it was an "Aha" moment! I have been using a drafting set of my father's. He was an engineer back in the 1950's and used them to draw blueprints when he was designing oil refineries. I have used the compasses to cut circles in clay and they are awesome for that use. There were these other tools that I had not clue about. Now I find out that they are ruling pens and I have three of them. One is actually one arm of a compass, so I should be able to draw underglaze circles with it. I am excited to try them.

Thanks for old threads!

Archived