low fire glazes applied over cone 6 glaze

tbaa

Some of my cone 6 glazes have had poor results.  I'd like to  experiment  by re-firing these  pieces, using a low-fire glaze.  Is this possible?  And lustre glazes?  what would work best over cone 6 glazes ?  Any suggestions and guidance will be hugely appreciated!

This is one of those questions that has a million possible answers but they would all start with "try it and see".

What is it about the ^6 ones that you don't care for? Sometimes reglazing with ^6 glazes and firing slightly cooler than ^6 can work, it's a bit of a crap shoot though. Since the original glaze and clay is already mature by lowering the final temp for the second firing reduces the chance of having them run onto your shelves and developing bloats in your clay. Refiring ^6  to low fire temps can also alter the look of the ^6 glaze drastically. (I have a blue that goes brown and yuk looking if re-fired to 04) If you do reglaze, heating the pots up to around 180Ffirst helps to get the glaze to stick to the pots. If you have large flat pieces like platters to re-fire for second firings you need to go slow.

Archived