There was a thread a while back that addressed the obfuscatory language used in a lot of academic artists' statements, and I can't find it. We had fun trying to translate. Anyways.  Here's a link from the Globe and Mail opinions that I thought was applicable. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/lets-stop-pretending-academic-artspeak-reflects-actual-research/article36785084/?mc_cid=ff1e3e039d&mc_eid=1d64d860e9

Ha...monkee cee, monkee doo. I got "I'm troubled by how the optical suggestions of the negative space notates the essentially transitional quality. " Doesn't say transitional quality of "what", but really isn't too bad...I have paintings it could fit! 

If I can get serious for a minute, 

"Middling graduate students often want us to believe that because a theory has been put forward it has proved something, akin to a pharmaceutical study that proves the efficacy of a certain drug."

This type of thing happens in lots of places, including this forum! When you are reading this forum, ask yourself, is this person writing from first-hand experience? Or is this a theory? If it's a theory, is it being framed as a theory? Why or why not? Or is this person repeating something they have read, which is neither a theory nor an experience. If so, did they provide a source so I can read the source myself? Why or why not? 

It's one thing to not put forth any babble. It's also important not to consume it uncritically. I always put the most value on things that are clearly first-hand experiences. 

On 11/3/2017 at 8:35 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

There was a thread a while back that addressed the obfuscatory language used in a lot of academic artists' statements, and I can't find it. We had fun trying to translate. Anyways.  Here's a link from the Globe and Mail opinions that I thought was applicable. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/lets-stop-pretending-academic-artspeak-reflects-actual-research/article36785084/?mc_cid=ff1e3e039d&mc_eid=1d64d860e9

Hear, hear! (Love "Wankers and Hogwash")

Good reasons in this article for losing the citations, too.

Non-ArtSpeak rationale for the kind of carving that I do: "I like making holes in pots and seeing how far I can take it before it collapses. I was inspired by a pair of Danish pots with holes in them that I saw, in 1963, as a contradiction of traditional functionality."

1 hour ago, GEP said:

This type of thing happens in lots of places, including this forum! When you are reading this forum, ask yourself, is this person writing from first-hand experience? Or is this a theory? If it's a theory, is it being framed as a theory? Why or why not? Or is this person repeating something they have read, which is neither a theory nor an experience. If so, did they provide a source so I can read the source myself? Why or why not? 

+ 1,000,000,000

well just having attended a convention on sthing other than ceramics, at the front of my brain is the need to speak with my own words, not respeak the thoughts of others.

why do I write or speak? To be understood by many others or an exclusive "informed" few?

let the pot speak, or keep it skeletal to allow the viewers thoughts to be their own.

I believe in the end, the pot just is. I really cannot describe my feelings about the clay, the making, the feel of the clay, the feel of glaze on my hands or the heat of the kiln at ^6 when I walk  into the garage and feel the heat of the kiln like a warm blanket and body next to me and especially not the ecstasy of opening the kiln when cool to blush at the vision of a kiln load. To try to describe any of this to another, is just. . . . too personal, and I fear that they would probably take it the wrong way. . . . entirely.

best,

Pres

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marcia, I really, really like that piece.It is superb in it's simplicity, It speaks volumes with very few marks on it, and has a surface decoration that looks like it came out of a beautiful quartz mine with agate veins swirling under the surface.  Or more simply WOW!

best,

Pres

I made four. .They are small, 6" But now I want to make larger ones like 12-18". I was firing in my tiny demo kiln. Second opportunity to fire I used my barrel kiln and fired 3 saggars. Glad you're warm. I have a huge pile of snow next to my kiln and it just keeps getting bigger. I scrape the snow away when a warm day looks promising.

Marcia

On 09/11/2017 at 4:57 AM, Pres said:

I believe in the end, the pot just is. I really cannot describe my feelings about the clay, the making, the feel of the clay, the feel of glaze on my hands or the heat of the kiln at ^6 when I walk  into the garage and feel the heat of the kiln like a warm blanket and body next to me and especially not the ecstasy of opening the kiln when cool to blush at the vision of a kiln load. To try to describe any of this to another, is just. . . . too personal, and I fear that they would probably take it the wrong way. . . . entirely.

best,

Pres

That, I think, is one of the best and most honest artist statements I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been able to come up with a satisfying artist's statement for my own work. If I could put into words what I was trying to do, I could probably have been a writer instead. Perhaps it's not being able to describe my artworks fully that causes them to end up as objects in ceramic, paint, etc,; when in theory those ideas could much more easily have been expressed by simply typing out a description on a computer screen. 

On 1/21/2018 at 8:21 PM, Marcia Selsor said:

I am enjoying making marks on clay just because it makes me wonder at what chemicals, organic material, masking, baffling will to do a surface. No hidden agenda.

Just keeping myself amused. Some of today's amusement. I am particularly enthralled with seaweed.

Marcia5a655876eec64_box1copy.jpg.c4f2913f2836da0c2b1e41bb0dc19d8f.jpg5a655616a1c01_selsor_box1copy.jpg.de849fcc40197d8cbbf7171204b5e056.jpg

Both of these have been accepted into the Conebox show at NCECA in Pittsburgh. At Allegheney Community College within waling distance from the conference center. Opening in Thursday.

Archived