Sign in to follow this  
Suzyq

Genesis Controller

I'm getting close to ordering my first kiln ( eyeing Cone Art ).  I was wondering if folks that had  used the Genesis controller were happy with them... any issues? Any software bugs... or complaints about the user interface?  Any fried controllers that had to be replaced yet?

Suzy

I've been using one since about January of this year. It's very user friendly, no issues with it whatsoever. Think it's well worth the extra bucks to upgrade to it. 

I love my Genesis! I'm also testing their mobile app. It's just for monitoring the firing, not programming, but that's a good thing-I don't really want my kiln to get hacked. At some point they'll have alerts to your phone if the controller puts up an error code. The best thing about the Genesis is how easy it is to do custom programs. You can see the whole program on the screen at once, instead of just one step at a time, and you can change any part of it without having to scroll through the entire program. You can also do a lot more steps and store a lot more programs, and you can put a name to each program, instead of just a number.

Touch screens with wi-fi are the biggest change to happen to kiln controllers in 20+ years. It's a cheap upgrade when you buy the kiln ($125 with L&L, not sure what it is with ConeArt), especially if you math it out over the 20 year life of the kiln. They'll be standard equipment in a couple of years, and buying it as a replacement later will cost you $300.

Edited by neilestrick
Joseph F likes this

My next kiln will definitely have this controller. The upgrade I want most is to know if something goes wrong with my kiln in the middle of a firing and it throws an alert to my phone. Sooo nice.

I really like my Genesis. I bought it direct from Bartlett and built my own external wall-hung controller with it. The additional features and ease of use over the earlier V6-CF are worth the extra cost. The only thing I don't like about it is that Bartlett doesn't seem to have any idea how the customer side of a software company operates, in that they don't offer any information about the changes that are in each firmware update. The version number of the user document on their website can only be determined by the download filename, not printed on the cover page, and is an older version than was most recently installed, and thus I have no clue what new features are being installed in my controller when it updates itself other than a page-by-page line-by-line comparison of this document vs. the last one I happened to have collected.

Neil, what can you tell us about the availability of this new mobile app?

15 hours ago, Dick White said:

I really like my Genesis. I bought it direct from Bartlett and built my own external wall-hung controller with it. The additional features and ease of use over the earlier V6-CF are worth the extra cost. The only thing I don't like about it is that Bartlett doesn't seem to have any idea how the customer side of a software company operates, in that they don't offer any information about the changes that are in each firmware update. The version number of the user document on their website can only be determined by the download filename, not printed on the cover page, and is an older version than was most recently installed, and thus I have no clue what new features are being installed in my controller when it updates itself other than a page-by-page line-by-line comparison of this document vs. the last one I happened to have collected.

Neil, what can you tell us about the availability of this new mobile app?

Just like cell phones! I never know what's happening when my phone updates. I'm betting that 99.9% of the controllers Bartlett sells are sold to the kiln manufacturers, who all have their own manuals. This updating stuff is new to them. It would be nice if they maintained an update list on their web site.

The app won't be available for public use for another couple of weeks. They're shooting for November 1st.

Sounds like a winner.   Thx for the responses. Cool that the phone app is getting close. Sure would be nice if they would expose the software interface the mobile app uses so folks could create their own monitoring software, or hook it up as a home automation trigger (ex: if the kiln throws an error, flash the overhead lights in the house )

I bought a Genesis controller as an upgrade to my Bartlett V6-CF.  The first firing with it just did what ever it wanted and overfired everything.  I called Bartlett Co. and their Technician was only  interested in proving their was nothing wrong with the controller, it was my programing.  Finally after firing twice more with just shelves and posts and cones in the kiln I pulled the controller and put the original V6-CF back in and fired a load of pots successfully.   Today I called Bartlett to return the controller, and was put thru to Dave Bartlett, he said a lot of upgrades had been made on the firmware and would I put it back in and he would step me thru it.  This afternoon I called him again and had put it back in.  First I had taken down the information on the controller, He said that was the newest version, and after much talking back and forth of what I was seeing, he said he wanted to check one more thing.  He talked me through how to get to the PID and the setting was at 1 he said change it to 18 and he thought that would solve the problem.   I am now firing the kiln with shelves  and it seems to be following the setpoint like it should.   This PID setting in my manual says don't change without askiing the kiln Mfg. 

David