Sign in to follow this  
BlackDogPottery

Good Slip

Hello everyone. 

I'm currently looking for some ideas for a vitrified slip for about cone 6.  I only want to use it on the outsides of pots like mugs. So I need something that is smooth and pleasing to the touch like a matte, I could go around for a matte glaze but was something more streamline like slip and didn't want to worry about a matte not holding up in the long run.  Maybe something that fluxed like adding a little gerstley borate or Neph Sy to a colored slip. Thanks

Edited by BlackDogPottery
more info

A couple of links to follow:

Vitreous slips

(From potters.org - 'Clayart'. This is but one discussion from there - there are quite a number of threads dealing with vitreous slips under here: Techniques - slips. You just have to wade through it all!)

Creating a Non-Glaze Ceramic Slip or Engobe

It's not much, but should give you a direction to go in. As with all slips, you'll need to do the work so that it suits your application method, your clay body, your raw materials, your firing temp., etc.

17 minutes ago, Sputty said:

A couple of links to follow:

Vitreous slips

(From potters.org - 'Clayart'. This is but one discussion from there - there are quite a number of threads dealing with vitreous slips under here: Techniques - slips. You just have to wade through it all!)

Creating a Non-Glaze Ceramic Slip or Engobe

It's not much, but should give you a direction to go in. As with all slips, you'll need to do the work so that it suits your application method, your clay body, your raw materials, your firing temp., etc.

Thanks. I dont mind digging for a gem! I think I'm looking for an engobe now actually.  Looking for something dark, I was using a mixture of Manganese and Kaolin at  2:1 but am moving away from using Manganese at all!

Edited by BlackDogPottery

Oops! I'll get shot...

I forgot to suggest a search of this very forum!

Search the Community - Vitreous Slip

...which, amongst other threads, gives you this one:

Converting A Dry Cone 10 Slip Recipe To A Dry Vitreous Cone 5/6 Slip

Again, you'll find information to work with rather than exact recipes to follow, but it's a learning curve!

Edited by Sputty
Providing apple-pie order

There are a number of them here. There is a Randy Brodnax ^6 ox or reduction black in there. For a work around not using Mn, I would play with cobalt, iron, chrome amounts. (chrome if flashing won't be a problem with tin opacified glazes)