Ash in Commercial Glaze

MMB

So I remember the post about the use of plant ash in a glaze to bring out colors. For a while I have been wanting to try it out but I dont have a lot of raw materials to mix up a glaze, nor do I have at the moment expendable income to purchase BUT i do have some Coyote Clear ^6 glaze. So the question is... would it be possible to add ash to such a commercial glaze and get some effect? Im curious just to see if it is worth a test, or if anyone else has done the same.

Ash is a flux generally speaking. It fluxes more at ^9 but will give some effect at ^6. You could try dusting a little ash on the shoulder of a small piece to see what happens. You say you want it to bring our more color but your example is a clear glaze to add it to. Maybe you should sprinkle it on something with some oxides like rutile to copper.

Look for some ash recipes in whatever temperature range you are using. To sprinkle the ash onto a shoulder of a pot, use a sieve to dust the surface...possible while it is still damp after glazing.

Marcia

Prepare a couple of test tiles . . . perhaps one with ash sprayed or dusted on the top third, another with a bit of ash mixed with a small amount of glaze and second dipped over the first coat, again only on the top third. Fire and see how it works, how it runs, etc. The ash will affect the glaze as it is adding more flux.

Archived