Week 28

1. A Weathering order chart of various minerals arranged in order of their resistance to weathering and decay lists _________________ as being the most resistant.

1. zircon

2. magnetite

3. Ilmenite

4. quartz

2. For potters wanting to avail themselves of regional materials where they work, whether being marketed or not, a ___________ is a very important item of equipment.

1. Potters wheel

2. ball mill

3. blunger

4. pug mill

3. To save kiln space is to save fuel, and this is what this remarkable piece of equipment is about. The saving of kiln space using ________________, as opposed to flat shelves, ranges from 20% for squat things like teacup saucers to an much as 60% for certain types of domed lid.

1. Half shelves

2. wadding

3. setters

4. posts

4. My wife, May, and I have used a ________________ for many years to keep a precise control of glaze thickness.

1. Graduated cylinder

2. hydrometer

3. triple beam balance scales

4. measuring cups

This weeks questions come from The Potter's Alternative, by Harry Davis, c.1987, Chilton Book Company

Note from Pres: Recently there was a Question of the Week where there was curiosity of what book I would have if I only had one. I stated at the time, that it depended on the circumstances. In extreme need, I stated Pioneer Pottery. This book, The Potters Alternative, also meets the extreme need criteria and I believe is even more appropriate in catastrophic rebuilding society types of need. . . heaven forbid.

I'm in a quiz mode this am-I do not have this book.

Another #4 answer is -you will need a triple beam to make this measurement but a digital scale is also a new modern version that will work as well

My guess is this is the answer that you are looking for as the book is from the 80's

Edited by Mark C.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:06 AM, Mark C. said:

I'm in a quiz mode this am-I do not have this book.

Another #4 answer is #2-you will need a triple beam to make this measurement but a digital scale is also a new modern version that will work as well

My guess is this is the answer that you are looking for as the book is from the 80's_I use my Graduated cylinder every time I make glazes but it requires a scale