What can be built besides pots with coils?

Good Morning:

I am planning out the remainder of my curriculum for Ceramics One. I have been teaching ceramics for about 9 years...and there is still so much to learn! As most of you know Ceramics One is a foundations class where students learn the basic techniques of Ceramics. We create the standard pinch pot, pinch pot combo, coiling and slab. I usually changed the requirements for each technique every year so I do not get bored and I continue to learn. However, I have hit a brain block. I am so tired of doing traditional coil pots. I have done pretty much all the different typical themes. Face jugs, Jomon, Exposed coils, abstract, Greek vases,  cookie jars, sgraffito, etc. Have any of you done anything with the "coiling technique" that does not involve the traditional coil pot style? I feel like I am stuck in the 70's when it comes to coiling. I have a lot of ideas but they do not involve students building up with coils and I feel like that is sort of the point of teaching the coiling technique. Of course I have looked at websites, books, pintrest, artist pages. But, again most suggested ideas involve a coil pot when you break it down.  I will take any ideas that you may have. Thanks for your help. 

• fruch changed the title to What can be built besides pots with coils?

It could be Thematic requiring coil construction, Whacky vases, Crooked Homes and hovels, Inhabited Desert planters, Clappers and Clangers, .. . . . . the possibilities are endless and the thinking is deeper when they have to decide what you are asking for especially when they have to define the terms on their own.

best,

Pres

• 2 weeks later...

I have students do "figural"/ "representational" sculptures.  They can use any of the previously discussed hand-building techniques.  Many choose to use coils, as it allows them more control of the form, with a consistent thickness than forming a lump of clay and hollowing it out.  I've had students create some amazing work, in this way.

Archived