Update on the forum, thanks for your patience, feedback, etc.

• Administrators

Hello CAN Community Members!

Just a brief note here to give a quick update on the status of the forum. Thank you all for hanging in there with us during the transition to the new version of the forum and server migration!

We wanted to let you know that we appreciate your patience as we work out the bugs and get to know how the new version works. We do hear your feedback and we are working to try to make the forum as useful as it can be to everyone.

You may notice that we recently implemented some changes that some of you have asked for. Status updates now appear on the right rail, as well as a couple of other things that used to be there! For that, I have to thank moderator extraordinaire Mea @GEP for figuring out how to make that change!

Please continue to post questions and comments about the general use and functionality of the forum in this section and we will do our best to address issues as quickly as they can. Also, if you know the answer to questions another user posts, please chime in.  

In the long run, I think this upgrade will make the forum more stable and we will have far fewer problems. We hope you will all grow to love using the new forum and that it continues to help artists share ideas and solve problems in the studio!

Best,

Jennifer Harnetty

It’s terrific the way it is now! 

Actually it was always terrific but with the latest tweaking it’s even better! Having free access to a forum like this is huge. The depth and breadth of knowledge here is staggering. I don’t agree with everyone and everything said and at times I get a bit irritated but I guess it would just be plain boring if we didn’t disagree now and then. So thank you to Mea, John, Bruce and Pres and Ceramics Arts Daily for making this forum possible at all. 

Okay, one thing, “likes” for moderators coming back? Do the moderators want them? Do the rest of us? Do any of us need/want them?

4 minutes ago, Min said:

Okay, one thing, “likes” for moderators coming back? Do the moderators want them? Do the rest of us? Do any of us need/want them?

I want them, and it's on the list.

2 minutes ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

I would still like to know who liked my posts. It's sad when they are unknown :(

This is actually the very next item on the list, after getting the Status Updates back on the front page. 

Great job @GEP! I love those status updates on the side. 

+1 for "somebody" liked something. I really like to know who likes what and I like people to know when I like what they said. It makes it easier to sort of thank someone for their time, I don't really want to write, "awesome post, somebody" each time I think something is great, but don't have anything to add. Looking forward to being able to just like something again. I still have been using it, but I don't feel like I get to add my personal thank you to the post for the author. That being said, I don't know why I typed all this as you already stated it is in the works ! hahah

+1 for mod likes as well.

EDIT: even cooler if you scroll to the bottom of the home page you get to see new images. so its like status updates and IMAGES! so awesome. epic work.

• Administrators

Hi all,

I have searched and searched in the back end for settings on the Like function, but to no avail. I am reaching out to Invision (developers of the forum software) to see if they can help me find it. Fingers crossed the functionality still exists!

Jen

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, RonSa said:

Sep. 29, 2017.jpg

23 Sep. 29, 2017.jpg

24 Sep. 29, 2017.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I had already looked there, and I didn't find anything that seemed to be a setting for showing member names with Likes. Am I missing something? If you could elaborate on your post, @RonSa, it would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Jen

Dear Jen,

2 things,

I think it is important to know WHO liked a post. If you are discussing a problem on a thread, it is good to know who got it. Otherwise it is pure tabulating and seems bogus and competitive.

2. The competitive you WON a day...what does that have to do with sharing information. I don't like it. It breaks down our intimacy and friendships.

Marcia

15 minutes ago, Marcia Selsor said:

Dear Jen,

2 things,

I think it is important to know WHO liked a post. If you are discussing a problem on a thread, it is good to know who got it. Otherwise it is pure tabulating and seems bogus and competitive.

2. The competitive you WON a day...what does that have to do with sharing information. I don't like it. It breaks down our intimacy and friendships.

Marcia

I also agree with this. I don't understand the whole point keeping stuff, I imagine it is difficult to remove one without the other though. 

Edit: Looking at Ronsa's post above, it seems you can disable the showing of total points on a profile. Not sure what all that does.

Guest JBaymore
32 minutes ago, Joseph F said:

I don't understand the whole point keeping stuff, I imagine it is difficult to remove one without the other though. 

Unless I am remembering incorrectly, or if the view I had as a moderator was different from what a general user's view was, that "reputation" or "points" number was on a users profile in the old version too.  I just think that maybe we didn't notice it because it was "just there".  With the NEW forum stuff... we are all looking for "new" stuff.

best,

..............john

Guest JBaymore
5 minutes ago, Jennifer Harnetty said:

Found the setting, with some help from Invision Support! You should now be able to see who likes what! Hooray!

Thanks for your patience, y'all!

Jen

Great news!

best,

......................john

Archived