QothW: If you wanted to and had the means, which part of the process would you assign to an apprentice/assistant?

So Babs very recently asked: If you wanted to and had the means, which part of the process would you assign to an apprentice/assistant?

For me it would be preliminary glazing and base clean up. Most of what I do, lately, starts with a base glaze with spray on over top from different angles to bring out the textures. Years ago when my wife and I were doing the Penn State festival, she would help by base glazing with a friend and do clean up before I sprayed on glazes and did brush work over that. As we don't have the big rushes anymore, I do everything. :blink:

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned this topic

Well this is the easiest one to answer, ever!!  Reclaiming and wedging. Wedging and reclaiming.  Oh, and maybe someone to code, measure, describe and enter inventory on the spreadsheet.  And picking clay out of the MKM Hops roller-those tiny tiny little incised parts of the buds determinedly do not want to give up any clay--wet or dried-that has settled in and refuses to leave. And...

This one is easy for me to answer too. I would have someone set up my art festival display, and pack it down. I'd like to drive up to my booth location with my helper, then go get a sandwich while my helper sets everything up, exactly the way I want it. At the end of a show, I would pack the remaining pots into boxes, then my helper would show up to take down the display. I would leave to fetch the van and pull up just as the everything is ready to be loaded in. I would still do everything in between setup and packdown by myself. 

Well, I also like all the processes.. yes, i gaze at the clay which requires recycling but when  et into it I enjoy the process and feel very religious afterwards!1

It's the dealing with public, dropping stuff off to Galleries that  don" t like.

But an assistant who would clean my house do the shopping and all the other things that keep me away from my shed, well, that I would welcome.

• Pres unpinned this topic

Archived