Community Challenge #9

Chilly

As promised, it's 30 minutes past midnight on 24 September 2017, exactly three months until Christmas Eve, so here is your next community challenge:

Wherever you live/work/play, if you're in Europe, the US or an "ex-British-colony/commonwealth country you can't escape christmas.  

So this challenge is to create a piece of work that symbolises the christmas season for you.  Whether it's religious, non-religious, fantasy, ironic.  Whatever.

As a devout atheist, for me, christmas is the time when too many people get into debt buying gifts for people who don't want or need them, so I'm going to make a money box, filled with IOUs.  

What will you make?

You have until santa starts his deliveries to put your pictures somewhere.  (I'll check Joel's original rules and repeat them here later/soon.)

Cool...   Just for fun  I turned to Wikipedia to set me straight on what Christmas, and "the Christmas season" is, is not, might be, or has evolved into.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas 

Given that Christmas and the season of Christmastide are undeniably and explicitly a Christian affair, however much celebrated by non-Christians throughout the ages,  this challenge may become especially....well....challenging.  

Equally challenging to the thought process (mine, anyway) is the call for the creation of a symbolic piece, which inescapably involves introspection, belief systems, critical thinking,  and art and cultural histories, at a minimum.  Maybe even Jungian archetypes  and the collective unconscious!  :lol:   I expect  all manner of fun will be had researching accurate meanings of symbolic, symbol, and symbolism.  

• 3 weeks later...

As a tree-hugging pagan nihilist crazy cat lady I'm torn between which approach to take. I celebrate in a very minor way both the solstice for religious purposes and a made up secular personal holiday I call "Xmus" pronounced "Exmuss" which is closer to Seinfeld's "Festivus" if you're familiar. I'll probably just take a photo of some of my ornaments I'll be trying to peddle and call it a day. A Festivus for the rest of us! 

• 4 months later...

Oh dear.

I'm sorry.  I completely forgot about this challenge and didn't even get my own finished.

My excuse is that my dad was taken into hospital on 4 December, he came home on 20th and was re-admitted on Christmas Eve and passed away on 29 December.  For most of November and all of December I spent time with him every day, and completely forgot about this challenge.  Mind you, apart from #Tricetra, it seems no-one else remembered or took up the challenge anyway.

I guess the challenges wore out their welcome.  :(

Archived