Sign in to follow this  
Tami

Cracks In Greenware

Suggestions anyone?

I made a bird bath with a large slab. I Used a large mixing bowl as a mold shape and undulated the rim for a flowery kind of effect. I have been drying it slowly but last night I noticed several hairline cracks in the rim. I suspect the cracks will get bigger when I bisk fire. Any suggestions on how to fix them at this stage?

Tami

Tami, Out of curiousity are you building these birdbaths as a single unit or sectionally you assemble after their glaze fire?? If you do them sectionally if a unit misfires you could remake that part easier then a complete birdbath.

Tami, Out of curiousity are you building these birdbaths as a single unit or sectionally you assemble after their glaze fire?? If you do them sectionally if a unit misfires you could remake that part easier then a complete birdbath.

I have made made them both ways depending on height. I am limited by the size of my kiln. The piece with the cracks is all one piece. I could start over but I am very please with the shape of this one and would rather try to see if I can fix the problem. I will try the 50/50 mix and see if that works. If not then back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the input,

Tami