Glaze calc the hard way, or, How I learned to stop worrying and love Hermann Seger

Tyler Miller

11 minutes ago, RonSa said:

Her claim's been discredited entirely.  Samuel Miller's 1777 patent still exists, and even in that article, it cites under "Tool Maker and Inventor" M. Stephen Miller saying that within the Shaker community the circular saw was known as early as 1793--the same year Babbit joined the shakers.   She couldn't have invented it.   For what its worth, most other inventions attributed to her, like cut nails aren't hers either, with patents going back a ways before on both sides of the Atlantic.  She was jusy a tool maker with good PR.

Unverifiable accounts of the circ saw exist as far back as the late 1600s in Holland, where it was probably invented and used on non-structural ship parts.

Check the wikipedia article for circular saw.  You'll see what I mean.  Or better yet, look for Miller's patent.

Yes, Ron, I am aware, but we have come to a point where no fact contradicts my original statements that "Once upon a time ripping was unheardof" and that rived wood was preferred, and legally mandated in some trades until the 19th century. 

I'm not sure why this would be a point of contention anymore.  I am always happy to discuss history, however, and I'd love to share experiences about woodworking with you sometime.  I see in your profile you enjoy wood turning, that's not something I've done.  If you've got some time, at some point drop me a PM and we can talk.  I'd love to hear about it and what you've made.

I think we are veering off on an unrelated tangent . . . so let's get back to unity formulae and glaze calc.  Lots of interesting information to ponder, but a bit off track for the forum.  The most interesting presentation on unity formula I've seen was by John Hesselberth -- he used an assortment of different colored bottle caps to show how molecules realigned in a glaze formula.  That helped me because I'm basically math challenged. 

BTW, Tyler -- the pix of the log cabin you are building up north looks really good. 

Archived