Sign in to follow this  
Rebekah Krieger

Using Albany slip

Hello- I have a bag of true Albany slip. I would like to do justice to the ingredient. What are some great recipes (with pics please) that you have enjoyed? Do you think I should wait to fire it reduction when I get an opportunity or is it going to be just as nice in a ^6 electric firing? Thanks 

JBaymore    1,432

Straight Albany green glazed onto leatherhard clay at cone 9-10 is nice.

I've never used it at 6.  Straight it likely will not melt enough.......but that is a guess.

'Shot in the dark glaze' for 6 ....... Albany  80  Neph Sy. 15  Frit 3124  5.    Not looking at calc software... just guessing.

Albany glazes should look good in oxidation at cone 9-10.

Others will chime in with experience at cone 6 I am sure.

best,

.................john

Mark C.    1,797

I have a 50# bag of hot and would wait to fire it at cone 9-11 m myself but I'm a reduction person.

I can give you a few high fire recipes if you want to use it that way.

I know nothing about using it at cone 6 except you will need a flux as it melts well at cone 9.

Min    777

^6 oxidation test tiles with white clay  here using 10, 15 and 20% additions of 3134 to Albany. 

Nice to see you back Rebekah:) 

JBaymore    1,432

OH..... looking at all that "gloss" in the Sheffield images....... in electric ^6 oxidation.... program a SLOW cool on the Albany ...... get some micro-crystals floating on that surface.

best,

................john

Thanks min! 

John, that's an excellent idea. I am hoping it put together a mini test salt kiln and use the Albany on some classic looking forms. Do you think I would have too much flux in the salt kiln? I will have to test.