stove top heat difusser question

Wyndham

I recently had a fellow who wants a Tanjene (sp) a middle eastern cooking  vessel that can go on a gas burner with a heat diffuser metal plate  that allows a clay cooking vessel to be used on a gas stove burner. On further info, the Tanjene(SP) is earthenware and the food being cooked is a wet dish as opposed to a dry cooking dish or frying.

How well or poorly would stoneware cooking vessels work with a heat diffuser, if at all

My cousin married a man from Morocco, and tagines (as a dish) are a pretty integral part of their diet. 

She asked me about making a couple of tagine pots because the traditional ones that are made of earthenware do tend to crack over time, with regular use.  Her in-laws just tend to view this as simply the way of the world, and they expect them to fail eventually.  You just go get a new one when it happens, and they're not typically very expensive. 

If you want yours to be durable, definitely look into the micaceous clay and flame ware. 

FWIW, I made a casserole type dish to use on my grill and I use a small pizza stone under the pot to diffuse the heat. Both are put into a cold grill and taken up to about 450°F. I used it about 5 times so far including tonight's meal of stuffed poblano peppers.

The clay is Standard's 630 and glazed inside and out

Hi I started a topic on making a tagine somewhile ago with regard to which clay was the best for this project.  Since then I have made a couple and successfully used one of these (the second has yet to be fired) I used a red earthenware clay fired 1040.

I live in Turkey so I can't really recommend a supplier.  

I've only used the tagine in the oven so can't say if it would work with a diffuser but I reckon it would stand it.

Putting the tagine into a cold oven and heat to around 180 then after time reduce to around 150 for about an hour and half worked wonderfully for me.IMG_0338.JPG.70afd1cb4949e1f7468e1c9cf8696bc6.JPG

Archived