SunsetBay

Elaine's Cone 6 Porcelain from Sheffield

I've been using Elaine's Cone 6 porcelain from Sheffield for a few years now, and I love it. I love the feel of it on my hands, I love the way it takes glazes, and overall I've been really happy with it. But over the past, say, 9 months, I've been having new problems with attachments: handles and other attachments are cracking even when I dry super-slow. Does anyone else have experience with this? Any suggestions? I don't want to switch clays, but I'm getting frustrated. Thanks!

A studio I used to make stuff at had issues with batches of B-mix as well so I eventually gave up and switched to a different clay. 

Like Tyler Miller said, I would contact them, hopefully your next batch will be back to normal

I've just been wondering if anyone else has had this issue.  I still have 100 lbs left, and I'm working extra hard on the attachments. Before I order more clay, though, I'll talk to Sheffield about it. Thanks.

Sunset:

As a point of curiosity for me ( I track clay issues): I would like to know if they used sodium or potassium as a flux. Giving the drying and cracking issues; I would tend towards sodium. The trend has been towards Nep Sy for the last two years because potassium is 3-4 times the cost now.

nerd