New Forum

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sSuper busy with a few  glaze kilns- then  cooking bbq tuna for few hundred on Monday-then another local tuna trip-only a 40 mile run it looks.
we are in a heat /fire wave-really smokey all the time and near 100 degrees here today with tomorrow being hotter still-great gaze firing weather?

I hope this new forum is super-I'll check it out as time goes by not tonight. Thanks for working on this as the old one had issues.I'm sure this one will to but we can work thru them.

1 hour ago, Min said:

I’m not getting why is there a leaderboard? Never thought this site was about competition, more like friends helping friends and sharing a common interest. 

Agree completely about the leaderboard. We're not here to compete with each other. 

We are all feeling our way around our new surroundings. Everyone feel free to say what you like and don't like. We will probably be adjusting things for a while. 

i have been 77 years old for only 3 days and after looking at all of this i feel like 97.   maybe it is time to retire.   someone please take away all these "points"!  and where the h.. is the "find new content" that took me to what i wanted to read.    

The new default view threw me a bit when I first logged in.  If you want the forum to look like it did before , then select the  "Table View" icon which is in one of the little boxes to the left of the  orangey/salmon colored "Start New Topic" rectangle on the home page.    I like the flexibility of being able to organize the information in different views for the different ways our minds work!

Edited: for additional detail/clarification 

49 minutes ago, Sputty said:

Yes, already found that, but I simply don't like the way the results are laid out. The old layout was easier to scan - less busy, less messy.

But it really doesn't matter - I've experienced website make-overs that have made me simply give up and move on elsewhere, including major news sites. This doesn't even come close to being that awful!

In general, I actually quite like the overall effect of the new look - just little niggles, which are more to do with the way I process information than anything else, I imagine.

The new layout of Unread Content is busier, but the more I use it, the more I like the personalization options, and I like the little icons that differentiate between comments, status updates, album photos, etc. I really like that new album photos appear here now. In the old forum, I only looked at gallery photos when someone asked us to look. Now I will see them all as they come in, which is nice. 

Sputty, have you tried the "condensed" and "expanded" buttons, does that help make it look more organized?

Guest JBaymore
8 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Two weeks from now we will all have forgotten what the old one looked like.

Yup. 

Sort of like when you buy a new car.  You buy it because of a lot of things that you like (or you HAD to because the old one broke down or was not worth fixing)... and then driving it the first few times you notice that the radio controls are not like the old ones, and the cup holder is just slightly in a different place, and the steering wheel where you hold it is a bit thicker/thinner or bulges a bit differently, and so on.  And those details annoy you.......... for a short while. 

And a month later you pretty much LOVE your new car.  Maybe a couple of things the old one had that you still miss... but overall WAY good move.

best,

.........................john

Good to see the signatures are back :lol: I am sure it makes a lot of sense behind the scenes but I will miss some of the old 'functionality' Is there a way to enable the old code view button to make copy+paste of complicated posts easier.

I do like how you can hover over a topic and read the first or most recent post.

@Sputty If you click on the right most viewing option and select all the forums you can sort of achieve something similar to the old 'new content' button. The only problem is all the stickied topics at the top.

@Joseph F only figured it out because I was struggling getting a quoted post to appear in the right box while trying to edit my post.

I remembered the code for linking to members on the old board so thought I would see if it still works. Might try and see what else there is to do.

[member=Sputty]

1 minute ago, Roberta12 said:

I have to say I really like the gallery!   And I was EASILY able to put a photo in there!!!  I have always had a few steps before.  

Roberta

Not only that, but adding a picture to a post is so easy now. Before it was so much more complicated. You can literally drag a picture into a post now. Which will help a lot of people who had trouble posting here. I think all the benefits so far outweigh the negatives by a fair amount. 

14 hours ago, GEP said:

Agree completely about the leaderboard. We're not here to compete with each other. 

We are all feeling our way around our new surroundings. Everyone feel free to say what you like and don't like. We will probably be adjusting things for a while. 

This struck me strange as well-not sure why this would be a header

I really like the new forum! The stream of "unread content" is great, I love that we can also see what people uploaded in the gallery there. I always forgot to check the gallery before and never managed to use it properly, so it's great that it has become so easy to see. 

I also like the new design :)

19 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

A question:

Just made my first post with a picture in another thread. The picture takes up the whole page: how do I control picture size?

nerd

Full page pictures are the best :D if you press ctrl + right click on the image and in the menu choose edit image you can change how many pixels it is.

Archived