Cone 6 Albany Slip Recipes

GreyBird

Does anyone have any Cone 6 Albany Slip Recipes? I have a bucket labeled "Albany Slip" that I've had for 20 years and I got it from an old woman who could no longer work with clay for health reasons so I think it may be the real thing. I have heard there are a few yellows you can only get with Albany slip. I'd like to test out some recipes to see if it is in fact Albany Slip.

You might run a Pinterest or wide search on the web for these. There are also some books out there that have some of them. As Albany slip is no longer available folks have tried replacements, or gone to other slips. I will try and find some in some of my older books, and let you know if I do.

best,

Pres

i looked up my original list of glazes from 1972 and found one for albany.  it certainly is not a yellow glaze.  it was given to me in these numbers, not something that adds up to 100.  it is only 2 ingredients,   albany slip 288.4   colemanite 82.4.  that is all i have, i do remember it being a very nice glaze, just not a color i wanted.

GreyBird-

If you want the recipe that Oldlady provided to add up to 100%, the the recipe would read as follows:

78% Albany Slip

22% Colemanite

I'll check my recipe database in my computer when I get home to see if I have any other ^6 recipes with Albany. No promises that I'll find any, but I'll check.

Hope this helps. Regards,

Fred

Thank You so much everyone! I live in the Hudson Valley and this research into Albany Slip has me thinking about the local clay that lines the Hudson River. The walls of the Hudson are full of it. I am also going to try some recipes with this local clay and see what happens :)

Greybird, 

I just pulled James Chappells book off the shelf, and found a grouping of slip glazes that had ^6 and Albany Slip.  

Caramel-Brown Gloss Slip Glaze Cone 4-6

Albany Slip        92.

Titanium oxide    8.

Add:

bentonite     1.

C.M.C.         1 tsp.

Bean Pot Brown

Albany Slip      87.5

Nepheline Sy.  12.5

Add:

bentonite     1.

C.M.C.         1 tsp.