Firing An Accidentally Glazed Green Ware Pot?

potterkimme

1 hour ago, Joseph F said:

gerstely borate. Which I don't like using, but it is such a fantastic glaze. I really need to get off my but and remove that material from the recipe by substituting, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Nothing wrong with using GB. Borates make some really strong glazes, and its a reliable melter within a wide range of temps. What made you think you need to get rid of it? 

42 minutes ago, GEP said:

Nothing wrong with using GB. Borates make some really strong glazes, and its a reliable melter within a wide range of temps. What made you think you need to get rid of it? 

It really makes the slurry hard to work with. I have to ungel the mix via darwins and carefully add water until I get it the right consistency. Then over time that changes. I try not to make big batches of it for this reason.

Besides that nothing else about it bothers me. 

8 minutes ago, GEP said:

Got it. I agree that GB glazes are spongy and hard to measure for specific gravity. But I like mine too much, no plans to give it up or find an alternative. 

They are. And like you said, this one is really great and is one of the reasons I haven't gotten rid of it yet. It works well(when mixed consistent), is beautiful and has a really good durable surface. 

I'm at the point where I am not changing my glazes anymore. I have what I want to work with and they do consistent things. My goal is really to continue my process and develop further what I am doing. I probably will look for one/two more glazes. I want a really glossy thick black glaze and a nice dull grey/brown satin. Alas I don't want to get off topic though. 

I wonder how the greenware pot went for the original creator of the thread?

Joseph: 

as soon as I finish working on a drying spritz: will deal with the GB issue. My last test with the spritz: the test piece dried within 90% even-ness from top to bottom. Going to test a few bowl, platters, and other shapes before I realize that info.  I do not think the GB properties will be too tough to solve.

Nerd

**edit** testing to date has been without using plastic covering. 

I already have solved the GB issues. I just use darvins to dilute the mix to a workable consistency. If I just added water instead of darvins the bucket would be too watered down. It isn't a problem anymore, but it was for a while. The only other issue is if over time the GB mix evaporates a bit of the water. I have to readjust the spec grav. But this only happens when I am out in the hot sun glazing for a few hours with the bucket in the sunlight. I have since stopped doing this and haven't had many problems with it anymore. 

Archived