Pkqw: Week 20

Week 20

1. Mocha decoration, Feathering, Marbling, and sponge decoration are all forms of decorating that involve the use of _________________ in the actual process.

1. Glaze

2. inglaze

3. tobacco juice

4. Slip

2. A form of decoration, _________________,starts with a hole through the form, but may appear only as a surface decoration after glazing as no hole is in the form.

1. Stamping

2. incising

3. piercing

4. mishima

3. Kiln atmospheres in fuel burning kilns may be either ________________or oxidation. Electric kilns, as they do not burn fuel may only fire in an oxidizing atmosphere.

1. Gas

2. reduction

3. wood

4. coal

4. ____________________ although limited in size, requires no tools, is pleasurable, and is good hand exercise. It is also considered one of the earliest methods of making pottery or sculpture.

1. Slabbing

2. Pinching

3. Coiling

4. Throwing

Answers:

1. 4. Slip, Mocha(tobacco juice tea dendrils), Feathering, Marbling, Sponge are all forms of decoration that use slip as the basis for decorating. Pg58-59

2. 3. piercing- Finishing details __ When the bowl is leatherhard, pinch the walls into the final shape. lf the rim feels dry, brush on water, waiting until it is absorbed before continuing. With your dust ï¬lter face mask on, decorate the bowl when it is dry by piercing holes through the walls and incising the surface. Image Caption:After bisque (biscuit) ï¬ring to 20/2°F (I l00°C), the glaze was applied thickly to give crazing lines throughout the surface. The glaze was made by adding I 0% yellow stain to a transparent glaze which fires to 2336°F (I280°C), see pp. I6—I9. Note the stained glass effect where the glaze fills the pierced decoration.

3. 2. reduction-OXIDATION AND REDUCTION The atmosphere inside the kiln during ï¬ring is described as either oxidizing, which means that there is plenty of oxygen inside the kiln, or as reducing, which means that the combustion of the fuel has used up the available oxygen in the kiln and created an atmosphere where oxides can be reduced to their base metals. The act of combustion of the fuel demands oxygen to burn, so oxygen can be released from metal oxides, thereby changing their color. For example, copper oxide in a glaze during a reduction ï¬ring can be reduced to copper, releasing the oxygen into the atmosphere and turning the copper from greens to reds. Only kilns which burn fuel can create the reducing atmosphere. Electric kilns cannot. Electricity will therefore always give oxidized firings.

4. 2. pinching-Just as there is undoubted pleasure in pinching flesh, making a pinch pot is very enjoyable — and in this case you inflict no pain. The desire to touch soft clay is almost irresistible, and there is the added attraction that, unlike flesh, it will retain the shape made with your fingers. At its most basic, this method requires only your hands and some clay, so it is an excellent way to begin making. The simple action of gently squeezing soft clay between thumb and foreï¬nger as the pot is slowly rotated in your hands can produce fine result.  

his weeks questions come from text in Potters Primer, Morgen Hall, c. 1997 reprinted 1999, A Quatro Book, krause publications.

Note from Pres: This is a good beginner book, and has several step by step projects in handbuilding and beginning throwning.

Archived