Pottery At The Hermitage Museums

I have just returned from a trip which included a whirlwind tour of the Hermitage Museums in St. Petersburg.

WOW!!  ... a dream I have had for a long time and it  totally lived up to my hopes.

Anyway ... I did not get to see an actual area strictly for ceramics but there was a lot of pottery in other areas.

Here is a link to the work I got a chance to photograph ... some Picasso pieces and some Majolica.

Enjoy!

http://www.ccpottery.com/ceramics-at-the-hermitage.html

I wanted to pinch myself the whole time ... could not believe I was there.

The quantity of artwork was what was so amazing.

Other museums might have a few of a certain artist and they have three rooms full.

Other than having to morally grapple with how they got them all ... it was terrific.

I loved the Hermitage when I was there in 1991. those are some great examples of early Italian Majolica and Italian Renaissance Majolica from Faenza and maybe Gubbio.and other centers.
I never got to see those when I was there. great photos, Chris. DId you get to the Ethnografic museum of the Soviet Union which had cover 11 time zones and way more ethnic cultures. That was amazing too. It may have gone the way of the Soviet Union.Lucky you. I hope you had a great trip. When I was there there were food lines and the toilet paper in the Hermitage was little bits of paper looked like maybe from a phone book.. RIght after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Latvia would not supply the toilet paper. Glad things have improved greatly. I went with a group of ceramic artist as guests of the soviet artists union. We were fortunate to eat dinners at the artists' union hall, former palace of the brother of the Czar. TImes have changed. Still a very beautiful city built by the same architect as Helsinki. Almost mirror images of each other in there centers from their high periods.

Marcia

It has come a long way from that Marcia, but the city still shows what it has survived. Tourists are flocking in but that is a very short season of revenue.

The sheer volume of works is what amazed me ... famous painters that you might only see one or two of in other museums ... here you walk through four rooms full of their work. Our tour was hurried and I was often left behind and had to run to catch up. Mind boggling.

I would love to return and just go there for the whole visit. I'm sure there must be a ceramic section full of amazing goodies.

Chris just WOW!!!

Chris for my 50th birthday i was taken to a film about the hermitage museum in a theater. it was such a treat.

Russia has been such a dream for me. i grew up in a communist state in India. they had a collaboration with USSR. i grew up steeped in mostly Russian arts and culture, music and literature. Even had some cousins go to school there. One day i would love to do the Trans Siberian from start to finish. 

Archived