Shimpo 21 Rk-10 Questions

Hey everyone! I came across a good deal on this Shimpo wheel and just wanted to get some thoughts on it. I tried looking up specifications online but couldn't find anything. Anyone know the centering capacity or the HP on this wheel? Also if it is a belt driven system and how much maintenance is necessary usually for these wheels. Has anyone ever thrown on these before as well? I would appreciate any input! Thank you. The model is the Shimpo 21 RK-10.

post-80460-0-08975400-1499934673_thumb.jpg

post-80460-0-13482200-1499934680_thumb.jpg

post-80460-0-68615000-1499934691_thumb.jpg

I have an RK-2 which is an earlier model. I throw mostly with a brent now. The RK2 is really loud, I don't know if the RK-10 shares that problem. The upside to this design is the cone drive and motor are all mechanical. There are no circuit boards to fail, so if you are handy, you can fix this. Shimpo does not support these anymore, but it seems there are plenty of parts in the pottery suppliers hands.

Mine handles 20lbs with no problem. If you want to throw really big it might not be up to the task. But this guy seems to make fairly large pieces on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-99NPQ_gho#t=1m30s

The pedal and hand throttle control the speed of the wheel, you can use either one. Since the pedal is attached to the wheel, you have zero options on repositioning where your foot goes. 

On a side note Shimpo changed its name and color-it now Nidec and the color is green

Nidec owns them and made the change recently as its a better know brand in Japan-they are a all green color company so the new shampoos will be green

Just passing on this factoid 

• 2 years later...

I have a 1972 RK - 2 ring cone popet super it is gold color it has never broke down  1/3 hp will throw 100 lbs of clay.  The RK-2 gray Ring cone popet will do 50lbs of clay.

The matelic traction RK-10 silver color will do 50+ lbs of clay and the matelic traction RK-10 Gold color will do 100+ lbs 

If you RK-2 wheel is loud put new bearings in the motor easy fix on all models you can buy parts from Kruger ceramic supplies online.  

The ring cone drive system increases power as you apply pressure wile throwing, that's why a 1/4 hp or 1/3 hp will handle the amounts of clay I have listed above.  I  have been teaching for 35 years the shimpo wheels in class still work great.

The Brent wheels in class have had many repairs over the past 15 years, from bad controllers to broken belts and bearnedout motors they to are loud and screech and buzz as they ware.  I've  only replaced the 41/2" drive rings on the shimpo's once in the past 35 years

• 1 month later...

I have a Shimpo RK-10. 
I am having trouble with the foot pedal. It is not moving smoothly.   Can’t find instructions Re: oiling altho that seems what it needs. Any suggestions?  This is the first time I am using it in about 3 years.   Thanks, Jan

Archived