Questions For Airbrushing Glazes And Oxides

What?

I want to spray slips, oxides, or glazes to achieve a carbon trapped effect so I can highlight the areas I want to emphasize. I fire out of the Community College so the firing schedule is out of my control. Also running a shino carbon tarp schedule would not be conducive to most of the other glazes. I have got trapping but would like to make it repeatable where I choose. When I say airbrush I mean airbrush not sprayers.

I saw some videos of what can be done with a airbrush. I feel this would be my best bet for what I am looking for.

#1 Anyone know of a cheap set up that works for this type of application? I can regulate the pressure from the air compressor at home or school.  I saw some at HF for under $15 don't know if those would work would work? I saw others on sites for under $30 or so no compressor.

#2 What mesh would I sieve too?

#3 Anything else I need to know?

Not sure I follow. You want to airbrush a stain to look like carbon trap?  I have airbrushed stains. It is important to add some flux with it such as frit 3110. 

I use 100 mesh and a suspension . If not, I use a gravity feed cup to work with sinking stains. 

Marcia

The big issue would be the tip size ( orifice size). Not looked, but would suspect an air brush would have a small orifice to control material output. I would be researching this aspect before moving too far down this road. An air brush would be a HVLP sprayer- high volume ( material) low pressure. 8-10 lbs of air. My large HVLP sprayer has 5 different tip sizes, to spray urethane ( very light material) to epoxy paints (heavy/ thick). Research material volume out put first.

Nerd

Airbrush is for small detail work-I use an old Pashe-these days its far easier to use a gravity feed gun from HF with an air compressor.Its just not as much control as an airbrush

as to that end a small compressor like this one for $119 is all one needs-small light and quite.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/senco-993808

Thank you Marcia and Nerd.

Marcia: Yes I want to spray a stain to look like carbon trap.

Nerd: Yes that is what I want to know. The tip sizes are very small. Like 0.2mm- 0.8mm. Some of the set ups are gravity fed or siphon fed. Even with those tip sizes I should be able to use this with stains and most underglazes. I would most likely want to go with the gravity fed unit I would think. That it why I was posting to see if anybody has experience in using one of these types of airbrushes.

Mark: Thanks. I want that control. The HVLP sprayers from HF are great but not for the applications I will be using it for. After doing some more research woman use airbrushing for their make up. Could you imagine some lady with that HVLP gun trying to apply make up. That would make a hell of a tutorial video.

I use both standard spray guns and airbrushes, being in the UK we seem to have different equipment available (and unavailable) to the US and I've never been able to find the Paasche guns mentioned here and in previous posts.

I tried a couple of airbrushes, with the largest needle I could find, but even though all my glazes are passed through a 100 mesh sieve I still suffered  annoying blockages. 

I've eventually settled on a Badger 250-2, this doesn't use a needle for delivery, it operates by the same method as a Critter spraygun, it will still suffer the very occasional blockage (far less often than a needle type airbrush)  but the clean out process is so much simpler and quicker. 

I also use a Badger airbrush - uses an aerosol propellant. I haven't tried it for glaze but I use oxide washes. Just oxides/carbonates in water. No sieving and nothing added. Never had a blockage - I just spray clean water through, when finished, to clear the tube and nozzles. Never replaced it in 4 years.

ayjay: Thank you for your experience. I can order a Badger online here in the states. The Paasche I can get too. I am going to comb the personal for sale adds for a used airbrush and see what I can get.

Thank you Ronsa and Celia for your comments and experience.

I have had a friend by the Badger with the two way spray button-it broke really fast. I have had my Paasche for 40 years. I would avoid their compressors -the one I listed in link is about 1000 times better. Those small oilless in link do all chores not just airbrushes.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes

My paasche airbrushes are nearing their 40 year mark and are still working like the day I bought them

I have three, the double action siphon feed. and 2 double action siphon gravity feed.  Double action means you press down for air pull back for media. You control the amount of media by how far you pull back

The double action siphon feed with a #5 tip works similar to the critter gun but has a smaller spray area. This is the only one I've used so far for spraying glaze and it seems to work.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes

My paasche airbrushes are nearing their 40 year mark and are still working like the day I bought them

I have three, the double action siphon feed. and 2 double action siphon gravity feed.  Double action means you press down for air pull back for media. You control the amount of media by how far you pull back

The double action siphon feed with a #5 tip works similar to the critter gun but has a smaller spray area. This is the only one I've used so far for spraying glaze and it seems to work.

Thanks for this. I am going to try to find a used version of this. 

Thanks for the input on this. I have found several used Paasche local. I am still on the fence about the price of a used one around 40. A new one is around 60. I feel reassured of the quality and reliability of a used one. I just think an extra 20 buys even more reassurance. I will say there are some used kits that seem like a good deal but I am unfamiliar with the quality of those little compressors.  

Joseph The $60 is for the pen only. The syphon model will probably work just as good. I would think a little shake shake here and there would work. Joseph I follow you on instagram as #reidthepotter. Nice cups by the way (also digging those dots). I too am into the yunomi cup form and trying to achieve a layering of colors and highlights across the form. My brush strokes not so great. But using an airbrush along with some stencils might help me to decorate to a level I can appreciate.

Archived