Judith B

What Is Ceramics, Is It Art?

agree with Mark. I think pottery as an art medium is without question true, too many examples to deny BUT it also is a a craft that has been used for centuries to make items to be used as functional ware. That's were my passion lies and I consider myself an aspiring artisan craftsperson. I love the back story to that and its history going back centuries and proud of the meager accomplishments I've made in that regard. Feel no need to be recognized as an artist as that is not something I am pursuing with my work. Decorative functional items such as vases and such are a fun outlet I want to pursue more of in the future but I think its a slight to those who are seriously pursing pottery and ceramics as artist for me to claim a distinction in my work that is simply not there.  

On 3/11/2018 at 1:12 AM, Sputty said:

There's a splendid piece of film of Picasso doing his ceramics thing at Vallauris. You'll note the fine tradition of smoking in the workshop, whilst blowing clouds of dust everywhere. Still managed to get to 92, though...

The pottery interest is the first half of the film (although the rest is interesting too, of course).

The duck is great.

The duck is cool, and I like that you can see the potter in the back whipping out beautiful slim bottles to make more with.   I am still trying to be confidently comfortable with altering, but I fight my impulse for perfection to do so.  It makes for some interesting work sessions.  

I am with you on the dust etc.  I do alot of sgraffito, and that plate he's working with it about where I would scrap it because of the dust.   But then I have asthma, so I am pretty conservative with the dust issue.   And did you see the smoke from the studio?  I thought they were electing a pope.  :o

On 3/15/2018 at 8:13 AM, Stephen said:

agree with Mark. I think pottery as an art medium is without question true, too many examples to deny BUT it also is a a craft that has been used for centuries to make items to be used as functional ware. That's were my passion lies and I consider myself an aspiring artisan craftsperson. I love the back story to that and its history going back centuries and proud of the meager accomplishments I've made in that regard. Feel no need to be recognized as an artist as that is not something I am pursuing with my work. Decorative functional items such as vases and such are a fun outlet I want to pursue more of in the future but I think its a slight to those who are seriously pursing pottery and ceramics as artist for me to claim a distinction in my work that is simply not there.  

Have you considered if stone carving is an art or functional? Stone carvers build houses , bridges, yet Michelangelo carved David. ceramics is a material that is spark plugs, space shuttle tiles, knives, pottery or sculpture. The final product is what it is.

Marcia

Now I agree with with Mark & MarciaB)

Now I do very much believe that a functional potter can certainly be an artist but I just think the intent needs to be there for that distinction in ones work and while any mug may be a work of art every mug is not.  

Like I haven't put my foot in it enough on this topic, but reading the thread title, I immediately thought: Well, it's just a medium, like crayons or paint. You can mark up the fridge, colorize photos or paint a Vermeer, it's what you do with ceramics that makes it art or craft, and there's no escaping that will always be in the eye of the beholder.