Managing Turning/trimming Mess In The Studio

I have a Shimpo RK3T wheel with a small removable splash tray. I use a Giffin grip for trimming which is almost as wide as the splash pan. Does anyone have a good system for keeping the clay trimmings from flying off and on to the floor? I've tried a shield of flexible plastic held to the outside of the splash pan (3/4 of the circumference) with a bungee, It helps a bit, but trimmings still escape through the space left for my hands and they also settle between the shield and rim of the splash pan, and when I remove the shield, they fall to the floor!

Has anyone got a way of keeping the trimmings in the splash pan? I know there are some very ingenious problem solvers out there so I'm handing this one over. All suggestions welcomed!

I just put a piece of thin plastic dry-cleaners or painters film on the floor then when I'm finished trimming I gather it up and dump the trimmings into a re-cycle bucket. A piece of the plastic that I use to cover pots, about 2' X 4', just need it on the right side of the wheel where all the trimmings go flying off. It's simple and doesn't cost anything.

I trim on a Bailey wheel too. Not sure if this will work with a Shimpo splashpan, but I cut a piece of vinyl flooring (leftover from my basement renovation) to fit inside my splashpan and is about 1 inch taller than the giffin grip. A few trimmings still find the floor, but most of them land in the splashpan.

post-1612-0-02795000-1498698964_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

I trim and deliberately let the trimmings fall to the floor.  I do not use splashpans for throwing.... I don't even have them on my wheels.  Then while the trimmings are still damp after a trimming session,........ I gather them up off the floor.   Simple.  And the wheel area stays clear and neat while I am working....... no trimmings piling up anywhere.

best,

....................john

Thank you all. The most reassuring thing from your replies is that it's evidence of an issue faced by more than just me!

Mea - I think I might try a pice of vinyl resting on the inside edge of the splash pan - that would help with the bits collecting between the rim and my shield,, though I think I need more than the 1" extension. Perhaps I'm having my wheel turning too fast...I'm sure my trimmings fly out higher than that. Marcia's 10" sounds more like it.

John - my trimmings are virtually bone dry by the time I've finished a few pots...not so easy to 'gather' them up without crushing, spreading clay dust etc. My studio is currently in a bedroom in the house, (not for long - 5m square garage conversion is currently underway!) so keeping the dust down is even more critical than in a dedicated space; though I will want to keep my new studio clean too, of course!!

Min - I tried that before the 'collar' idea but think I managed to keep spilling bits when trying to lift and tip into the recycling. However...I might have a second attempt with a more rigid sheet of polythene, perhaps cut around the wheel base a bit... If it works it would be a one-step process into the recycle bin, as even collecting everything in the pan involves scooping it all out or removing the pan (hazardous for me when full of dry trimmings as the clips release quite suddenly....get the picture).

I also suspect that due to my 'improver' status as a thrower, I have significantly more trimmings than many of you 'experts' out there . Perhaps throwing practice is what I need to invest some time into?

Crazy Idea

How about using a clear shower curtain around you and your wheel to contain the trimmings to a small area?  You'll need to come up with a way to hang the curtain from the ceiling.

Made me chuckle just picturing this one Ron - especially in my brand, spanking new studio with full length windows in full view of the passing public! Thank you, but I think I'll pass on this one.

BTW - does anyone know why I no longer get notifications when I follow a thread? I used to, but they stopped a few weeks back.

Ron - absolutely! They're already wondering what the converted double garage is going to be (new detached garage built and old garage doors replaced by full length windows)

I might stick an 'Open Studio' sign outside when I'm set up - it'll to give the neighbours a chance to nose around!

Min - a children's paddling pool would indeed contain the clay but would still need sweeping up into the reclaim. Knowing me, it would flip and throw it everywhere if I attempted to tip it out.

Joy - a photo would be useful here. Sounds like a good idea to me.

celia, have you considered building a table around your wheel?  i have loved mine, it is so convenient in so many ways.  can send a pic later tonight, it is time to go out on the river.  my dog loves the little boat and he is waiting impatiently.

well, i got the right pictures but they are in the wrong order.  trimming is done with a strip of aluminum used for building a house but any bendable "fence" to hold the trimmings will do.  the towel is on my lap to catch the closer trims and the whole mess is easily scraped into a box or other container when finished.  when dry, trimmings make great colored slip, easy to measure and just add water.

the second photo shows the table as it usually looks.  there are tons of colored slips in containers waiting to be used with a brush or trailer.  the foot pedal is not on the floor because i cannot use my right foot very well so it is used by my hand.

post-2431-0-12539900-1499180067_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-43485300-1499180126_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-57555200-1499182213_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-12539900-1499180067_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-43485300-1499180126_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-57555200-1499182213_thumb.jpg

celia, have you considered building a table around your wheel?  i have loved mine, it is so convenient in so many ways.  can send a pic later tonight, it is time to go out on the river.  my dog loves the little boat and he is waiting impatiently.

This is the best solution that I have seen. The people that have those nice tables that are built around their wheelhead so that all the trimmings are caught are very nice. I hope to have one of those one day when I actually build my own studio later in life.

joseph, my table is nothing but a few 2x3  (yes, not 2x4s) and a piece of plywood.  i topped it with a piece of tileboard but after so many years of use, that surface wore off.  formica would be better.  why wait until someday, do it now when you can appreciate its utility.

I used a wheel like that in school. to solve your problem, I used foam board, like road side political signs are made of, ought to be some good use for all that littler! I took 3, made hinges from duct tape and sat the hinged 3 piece shield on the wheel base, outside of the wheel. while it did not catch everything, it caught lots. I just carefully picked it up and gathered the trimming off the base. Also, I expect you are right, you are having lots of trimmings right now. I make a point of trimming the freshly thrown pot as close as possible BEFORE wiring off the pot, really cuts down on trimming and helps bottoms start drying quicker, thus more evenly. With large bowls, I trim close and then cover the rim with several pages from an old phone book I keep by the wheel.

• 1 month later...

New studio almost finished.....just discovered new forum....will be exploring ideas above VERY soon. Have plenty of bits of vinyl to try a 'skirt' resting inside the splash pan. I've been searching for some kind of cable clip wth a flat side to stick to the vinyl and a curved loop to push down over the rim of the pan. This would hold the skirt away from the Giffin grip as it turns......

Photo shows left side of studio, wheel not down from bedroom yet! Will post more pics when all set up...before it all gets messy!!!

image.jpeg

Archived