Magruder Red... Been Told It's Touchy

Pugaboo

Hi all

There is a bucket of something called Magruder Red at the Art Center. I've been told it's touchy to fire, that I have to fire only Magruder Red pieces together in the kiln to a cone higher than the kiln is usually fired. I've yet to fire any pieces as there are only a couple waiting to be fired.

My question is... why is it touchy and is there a way to fire it with other pieces in the same kiln to the same temperature. This separate firing is a pain as I have to essentially store the pieces until I have enough to fill a whole kiln. I also asked, what if someone uses it with another glaze do I fire it to the regular cone or the higher and if to the higher what happens with the other glaze? I got no answer to this. Personally I'd just as soon jettison it but some like its iron red coloring. Can anyone recommend a glaze to take its place?

Yeah I know more than one question here but any help or pointers in a direction to look would be appreciated.

T

I'll see if I can find the recipe, I'm told the recipes are there somewhere but I have yet to stumble across them.

We glaze fire to cone 5-6, I'm working on testing the kiln with cones to see just what temperature we are actually reaching.

I guess I was hoping Magruder Red was a common glaze.

T

I thought that sounded familiar. I had an old clay times drying out in my basement bathroom after a pipe froze near where I was storing my books and papers. In Clay Times Vol.11 Number 2  March/April 2005 "A Penland Glaze Workshop.." Lana Wilson and Kate Magruder  gave a glaze workshop at Penland and they worked out the Magruder red over the course of the workshop She says Crocus Martie worked the best for her and natural Bone ash which is hard to find, but she is using her dog's ashes which are the best.They tried the glazes fired hot, cool, thin, thick on many clay bodies and all came out reasonably well except thick at cone 7 it runs. 

Must be fired to a hard 6 or soft 7. Great on flat surfaces ( avoid running) to a hard 7 soft 8.  No mention of needing the kiln to be completely this glaze.

Using a cone 6 in the setter is really cone 5 so put a cone or 2 higher than you want and be there when it hits temperature. Use witness cones and a pieces of safety glass for looking into the kiln. 

She says it doesn't work in a test kiln or on the top shelf. Probably because it cools and doesn't benefit from soaking as much. 

Marcia

Did the former instructor/tech leave their firing schedule for the Magruder Red? Some people slow cool the kiln to get a good red and/or use specific forms of iron including crocus martis, synthetic iron, high purity, or spanish (which usually needs more of than the other ones). Not all iron reds need a slow cool though. If you can’t find his/her firing schedule what might work is to just fire a test pot with the regular firing schedule then refire the pot in the bisque kiln. This striking of the glaze can do the trick of turning an ugly iron glaze into a nice iron red. Sometimes works but not always.  I sub Tri-calcium phosphate for bone ash in recipes, I've never used bone ash, (think it's kinda creepy). John Post has an excellent article on iron reds but his site seems to be down.

I tried that glaze, I much prefer a similar glaze called Orange Street. It also uses bone ash and is very similar in composition to this one. I have used it before and I have a bowl covered in it on my bathroom counter top filled with junk. I know this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but if your thinking of getting rid of the batch of magruder red and replacing it with another iron glaze that is red and similar, this would be my choice.

You can google it and find the recipe plus tons of pictures of it at different cooling rates and such. 

You can fire it cone 6 no problem. It does need a slow cool to develop into something nice in my opinion as does the Magruder Red. 

One thing about any of these iron reds is that if you don't use a synthetic RIO your going to get a more brown color over a red color. Don't mistake a high purity RIO for a synthetic the color differences are vast between spanish, regular rio, hp rio and synthetic. Each will give a different shade of red and brown. When I first started mixing glazes I did a lot of experimenting with RIO based glazes. 

post-63346-0-51986200-1497150380_thumb.jpg

post-63346-0-30650100-1497150381_thumb.jpg

post-63346-0-51986200-1497150380_thumb.jpg

post-63346-0-30650100-1497150381_thumb.jpg

The article also said it comes out dull brown if it doesn't get hot enough.  Nice red, Joseph. The photos on the Clay Times is speckled,redder and deeper with a breaking black like near the rim of your bowl. And has gold flecks on texture.

Min, I never heard of using try-calcium phosphate. I will have to read up on that.

The final glaze result in this article used Calcined Crocus Martie, EPK instead of Grolleg and synthetic bone ash,

Marcia

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to try that clay Oldlady, the students might have fun! I am also going to mix up a test batch of the Orange Street and see what it does. The Magruder Red is going to have to go, I don't have time for all that special handling, especially when they don't always tell me they have used it on a piece and then are disappointed when it comes out an unglued brown. With several dozen different people using the facilities I need as much simplicity as I can get. For now I am going to do the cone 04 bisque, none of the potters even understand basic glazing and firing, they were pretty much treated like grade schoolers as far as these areas go, some have never even SEEN THE INSIDE OF A KILN. I plan to offer glazing and firing workshops to help educate them and maybe at some far distant point some might be willing to try single firing.

Yes things were left very bad off, Oldlady has had the joy of hearing about all the dirty details on that. Lol sorry Oldlady! I have buckets and buckets of barely readable duct tape marked glaze buckets, around 30, gallon to 5 gallon buckets. They all need to be sieved, thinned, tested, SG Figured out, marked and put back into use. All of them are lumpy, thick, super crusted around the bucket, etc. I have already removed glaze that on a list of glaze names he finally gave me says it's not food safe... the bucket says nothing about this. I asked the producer of most of those glazes for the recipes and was told they were already given to old director... I can't find them ANYWHERE. I have found boxes of shards, dust, dirt, bags of concrete, boxes inside empty boxes, broken heaters, broken blow dryers, etc. I did happily find several bags of kiln wash.... never actually used ON the shelves mind you but the bags are there so maybe having them is enough to protect the kiln? LOL I'm joking on the kiln wash I KNOW you have to put it on the shelves, but I swear nothing was thrown away for 10 years and most stuff just seemed to be shoved into corners, piled up and forgotten.

I tell myself baby steps BABY STEPS teeny tiny baby steps and I will get there eventually.

T

In my classroom we had maybe 20 glazes in 5 gallon buckets. It is normal procedure to sieve a bucket before using and adjust thickness.. Very helpful in case chips of pots have gotten in there. Too bad the place was left is disarray. Can you contact the old director for the whereabouts of the glaze recipes? It seems odd to me that they aren't readily available. Many community studios have the test tiles and recipes posted on a wall.

Marcia

terry and joseph, there is a picture in my gallery of the beautiful chinese red that jane cullum of manassas clay taught us.  i do not know how to move pictures to this part of the website so i will tell you to go to my name from the avatar, select my gallery, look for "glazed for Blandy 2015".  that piece sold yesterday which is a way of saying that the public does not share potters' fascination with iron reds.  everything else except the purple fish has long since been sold.

NOTE.  i do not use any kind of fussy glaze.  if it does not sit on the pot where it is put, it goes out the door.  sprayed and single fired is the only way i work.  the kiln is packed tightly, the controller set to cone 6 and away we go.

Oh and there are maybe a dozen test tiles.... the ones I made for myself back when I was a student done on white clay.... no others and no brown clay tiles at all. It's on the list to do, I need to get the glazes to the point they can be test fired. They didn't even realize the buckets were supposed to be stirred and scraped and stirred some more, they just assumed the inch of crud stuck to the sides was supposed to be that way. No use in doing test tiles to show color and texture when the glazes are such a mess. I rolled about about 40 brown tiles yesterday and already have some white tiles ready to be glazed. One of my students donated some pegboard, I have some 2x2s and hooks so test tiles will be done over the next few weeks.

The recipes appear to have been taped to the buckets, maybe? I found one on the Temmoku bucket, so I am thinking the rest fell off, the buckets were replaced or something like that along the way and the recipes were lost, it's the only thing I can think of. I plan to ask for new copies when I order more glaze so I can get them entered in the computer and also have copies at the studio. I really feel uncomfortable not knowing what's in the glazes, at least with commercial you have a LITTLE assurance they are safe.

I have John Nritts Complet Guide to Mid-Range Glazes and a few other glaze books. I checked even more out of the library along the way but can't remember where I've read what. Maybe I can take the names of the glazes and go through the books and find the recipes that way if I need to.

T

Archived