Electric Kiln In Garage?

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has put an electric kiln in garage. I'm aware of the fumes, flammables, and other risks but my primary purpose is to just do bisque fires. I don't want to install vent hoods and other ventilation parts and just want to open my garage doors.

Thoughts and inputs are greatly appreciated. 

Garage here in PA, fire all year round, no direct ventilation, although I have a chimney flue with opening directly next to kiln. In Winter you can tell it is drafting. No problems with fumes, as when firing I do not hang out in the shop. When cooling, I work on new pieces in the Winter. 

best,

Pres

Mine is in attached garage, but I have it vented (I fire both bisque and glaze). I also crack the garage door open during overnight firings to vent heat and fumes. I had an electrical subpanel installed to support the kiln and rest of studio.

I do exactly this as well. It works wonderfully. I put the pipe out the crack of the garage door. During the really cold winter, I have old comforters I bought at the goodwill and I duct tape them in a long roll. I push them against the door to prevent too much cold air coming into my studio. I only do this when it is around 30-40 degrees. 

I don't have an extra subpanel installed though. My electrician said I had plenty of room on my breaker box. The previous owners had it upgraded, so that was nice of them. 

My partner Buillt my studio in one side of our duck barn and my kiln has no extractor. When I set of kiln I leave the window and unblock a wall pipe to vent and stay out of the studio (Mainly do overnight firings). I then can work in there during the cooling down period when the kiln keeps the room toasty ;-).

• 1 month later...

I think it depends more about what you plan to have in the garage with it. Electric boxes are commonly found in the garage or upgrading with a sub panel should make wiring fairly straight forward. Garages, even if they are attached, are supposed to not share fumes to the house, i.e. Gas or exhaust from your car. All you need is your flat concrete floor, enough space around the kiln, 18" is recommended, and alittle ventilation, 10$ box fan in a window, or open your garage door, and your set. The biggest hazard is anything that blows in and lays on your kiln and catches fire, newspaper, wrapping paper, lots of leaves, ect. Checking on your kiln while your firing, priceless. If it's a manual firing, a nice chair for the last hour.

• 1 month later...

Archived