Horse Hair Raku...what Can I Use Other Than Horse Hair?

The name of the game with American Raku is to try the materials that you have at hand and see what happens. 

Any combustible material will make a mark (carbon and ash) that soaks into the pores of the pot.  That is all that happens with horse hair or feathers.  Sugar or syrup on a string works fine if applied at the right time (actually right surface temperature).  Wool yarn makes a  mark; so does a cotton string soaked with shoe polish, or wet spaghetti, or polyester threads. 

Each material will make its own mark.  Your job is to try what you have available to create interesting patterns on the pot.

A fellow student used chocolate syrup.

Go for it!

LT

Some people have thick coarse hair which can be used like horse hair. I have used my own a few times and it just leaves a finer line.  I wonder what would happen if you collected sweepings from the beauty salon and tossed wads of that stuff on your pot? 

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in South Africa a few years back, I bought some elephant hair bracelets so I could use the hair on my pots.  Unfortunately, the darn things melted like plastic...they weren't as advertised! I was a gullible tourist.

When traveling, it is best to avoid purchasing things made of endangered species. Even though yours turned out to be counterfeit, paying locals for materials reputed to be from endangered species helps prop up the market and encourage poaching.

Archived