Hands Drying Clay While Hand Building

I have taught basic pottery for several years to children and adults and have experienced the fact that some people have a chemistry which seems to dry the clay very quickly when hand building.  Wondering if anyone has ran across this before and any ideas on what can be done to prevent this.  I have used some tricks of my own to help them however just wanted others input.

Rubbing a tiny bit of olive oil into my hands before working with porcelain seems to help. I use this stuff too, plant based with no nasty stuff in it. If hands are dry at the end of the day then a drop of vinegar rubbed onto skin also helps. Wasn't sure if you were referring to hands or clay dryness solutions?

Is your question about the drying of students hands

or

about the drying of the students clay from their handling of the clay?

Nitrile gloves will help not drying their hands.

For keeping clay from drying too fast, thin cling plastic wrap covering selected areas will help in keeping the clay wet. Use small pieces to allow the area being worked to be exposed.

LT

If your talking about hands drying out the vinegar works but you wash your hands first, shake off any excess water and pour some vinegar in your palm and rub between your hands.  Do not wash your hands again, let them air dry you will smell like vinegar for a few minutes but it is worth it.  Denice

Archived