Help Firing Mistake

Hi All,

I have just realised that I have fired my glaze ware on my bisque setting. Not sure what to do now so after some advice.

1) Do I leave to cool and see what results I have.

2) Do I set off the kiln again now but on my glaze program or

3) Do I still need to wait for it all to cool then re-start the kiln on my glaze program.

SO annoyed with my self as I have commissioned pieces in so hope this wont make too much of a difference.

Thank you in advance.

Shel.

xxx.

Thanks Marcia, I fire at cone 6, and it had finished its bisque cycle this morning.

The only difference with the 2 programs is bisque is longer with 2 ramps and no soak and the glaze is shorter and has a soak at the end of half hour. It should be ok but the colours may have fired a little different than expected but I wont know until Friday which will be when I can open kiln. :-/

Thank you Neil,

Yes my glaze firing goes up to the same temp as my bisque it just soaks for half hour at that temp. Hoping my reds wont be too muddy but is a learning curve none the less. Working late and not checking through the program was a school girl error. lol.

Iron reds in electric are touchy to the thickness and use 2 soaking temps. One soak at ^6 for 20 min. to 2 hours depending on your preferences and then again as it drops temps. at about 1900-1850.

That really improves any muddiness that occurs especially if the thickness is off a little.

Marcia

Thank you Neil,

Yes my glaze firing goes up to the same temp as my bisque it just soaks for half hour at that temp. Hoping my reds wont be too muddy but is a learning curve none the less. Working late and not checking through the program was a school girl error. lol.

It's not normal to bisque fire to ^6 if you glaze fire to ^6.  Have you always done this?

• 3 months later...

Archived