Week 9

1. In the opening paragraph of Chapter 1, Robin states: Some subjects learned in formal or foundational art training are invaluable to a lifetime of personal artistic growth, regardless of the medium in which we later work. One of the subjects he names is Drawing, the other is _____________________

1. Sculpture

2. Mixed Media

3. Color Theory

4. Chemistry

2. For convenience in calculation, materials are put into three columns with the Base (flux, also known as RO or R2O, sometimes referred to as the ____________ of the glaze) on the left, Amphoteric (usually clay, also known as R2O3, sometimes referred to as the muscle) in the center, and the Acid (glass-former, usually silica, also known as RO2, sometimes referred to as the bones of the glaze) on the right.

1. Nerves

2. brain

3. organs

4. blood

3. Mocha diffusion, a slip technique that resembles moss agate gemstones is made by using a slip with a high degree of ball clay or plastic kaolin, such as EPK, along with an acidic material known as Mocha _____________.

1. Tea

2. Wash

3. vinegar

4. coffee

4. Ceramic Decals have come a long way form their invention in England by John Stadler in ____________. These early decals were printed on tissue paper using etched or engraved copper plates inked with underglaze.

1. 1850

2. 1755

3. 1910

4. 1820

This weeks questions come from text in Making Marks, Discovering The Ceramic Surface, Robin Hopper, c. 2004, KP Books

Note from Pres: If you do not own this text, or have not read it, it is the definitive text for decorating pottery at any stage from greenware through the firing. Other texts will give you more detailed information in some areas, but known of them that I have seen will give you the names and understanding that will allow you to search for more information as much as this one does.

Answers:

1. 3. Color Theory. . . .Some subjects learned in formal or foundation art training are invaluable to a lifetime of personal artistic growth, regardless of the medium in which we later work. Drawing and color theory are two such academic studies. Even if your ceramic work never directly utilizes them, it will improve because of your greater awareness and understanding of these two fundamentals.

2. 4. blood. . . . . For convenience in calculation, materials are put into three columns with the Base (flux, also known as RO or R2O, sometimes referred to as the blood of a glaze) on the left, Amphoteric (usually clay, also known as R2O3, sometimes referred to as the muscle) in the center, and the Acid (glass-former, usually silica, also known as RO2, sometimes referred to as the bones of a glaze) on the right. It is the ratio among the three material types that determines the ï¬ring range, but primarily the fluxes that control color development.

3. 1. Tea. . . The mixture used to form the patterns is called “mocha tea.†It originally was made by boiling tobacco leaves to form a thick sludge that then was thinned with water to a working consistency and mixed with color.

4. 2. 1755. . . John Sadler of Liverpool, England, is credited with inventing ceramic transfer printing in 1755. He saw children placing printed material onto ceramic shards and rubbing the back of the print. As the ink technology was relatively crude, inks of the era were not especially fast drying, and the rubbing transferred the image to the broken crockery. Sadler’s “invention†was to ink etched or engraved copper plates with overglaze enamels.

Don't have the book and guessing won't work on this one...this'll be a pure learning experience. Though I think maybe mocha includes coffee---or is it that coffee can include mocha...whatever, just gimmee my java and make it dark roast. 

Actually Lee, according to the book, the Mocha refers to Mecca where some of the finest moss agate in the world is found. This according to Robin Hopper.

I was considering this as a question, but figured too difficult and obscure.

best,

Pres

I must have had tough questions this week. Either that or I am too good at choosing other the alternative choices. :(

best,

Pres

They may not be mutually exclusive alternatives :P  - thanks for doing the pkqw's!

Mocha to Mecca to moss....who knew?

Oh-wait--agate--so, not the soft fuzzy green stuff in the forest. Wiki sez "Moss agate (also called mocha stone) is a semi-precious gemstone formed from silicon dioxide." And a healing crystals site sez  "Moss Agate grounds you, corrects left-right brain imbalances and stimulates creativity. Spiritual metaphysical properties aid abundance and attract nature spirits." Good to know...but I think I'll stick to plain mocha in my java and use the moss in my fairy garden.

Thanks Dean, I think that this is a case of the teacher learning more than the students, at least it always worked for me. I have done more perceptive reading lately looking for important if not slightly obscure facts in each of the books.

best,

Pres

Archived