Another Ridiculously Simple Handbuilding/extrucer Question

When extruding or even handbuilding, i often end up with tops or bottoms that are not level. I have tried using the string I use on the wheel to get stuff off, the big string on a handle i have for cutting clay off the block, knives, and nothing gets a clean, level top/bottom. I have tried at all levels of dryness, also.

I am looking for details such as:

How do you prop the clay, where do you start, pull toward you or away. I am trying to level things that are not put on the banding wheel and spin to cut, like little wall planters, etc.

I know, silly question. But thanks for any help anyway

Take a wooden ruler or stick and push a brad (small nail) at the height you want, then slide the bottom of the fuller around the bottom and the nail cuts off the top! If you want to make sure the top is level, after its bone dry spread some water on a flat surface and touch the rim to the water for a sec or two... The highest point of the rim will be wet.

Alabama

Take a wooden ruler or stick and push a brad (small nail) at the height you want, then slide the bottom of the fuller around the bottom and the nail cuts off the top! If you want to make sure the top is level, after its bone dry spread some water on a flat surface and touch the rim to the water for a sec or two... The highest point of the rim will be wet.

Alabama

Hi, do you mean ruler? And thank you!

Yes to all of the above. I also place extrusions cut to size on a board and use a triangle along the side to make sure it is not leaning, if it does I use a sureform to remove clay from the edge that is too long. Once it's all squared up I flip it upside down and use the methods described above to level the rim.

T

Archived